MHG3045 - Grave of the English, Culloden
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- GRAVE (Post Medieval - 1560 AD to 1900 AD)
Stone Commemorating the Graves of the English excluded from Schedule on 22 August 2003 'because the stone has been moved since it was scheduled in 1936 and it is not now in its original position'.
NH74NW 17.2 7437 4502.
(Centred NH 7437 4502) Grave of the English (NAT)
OS 6" map (1906)
An enclosure known as "Field of the English" so called from the fact that it was made a burial place for the English soldiers who were slain in the Battle of Culloden.
Name Book 1869
On the south side of the road at NH 7437 4502 is a large granite stone with the inscription:-
"Field of the English
They were buried here".
Visited by OS (WDJ) 24 April 1962
Name Book (County), Object Name Books of the Ordnance Survey, Book No.18, 26 (Text/Publication/Volume). SHG3348.
Untitled Source (Image/Photograph(s)/Aerial Photograph). SHG4786.
Taylor, I C, 1966, Culloden: a guidebook to the battlefield with the story of the battle, the events leading to it and the aftermath (Text/Publication/Volume). SHG2858.
- --- Text/Publication/Volume: Taylor, I C. 1966. Culloden: a guidebook to the battlefield with the story of the battle, the events leading to it and the aftermath. 2nd ed..
- --- Text/Publication/Volume: Name Book (County). Object Name Books of the Ordnance Survey. Book No.18, 26.
- --- Image/Photograph(s)/Aerial Photograph: B/W Negative. .
|Grid reference||Centred NH 7437 4502 (6m by 6m) (Buffered by site type)|
|Civil Parish||CROY AND DALCROSS|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (2)
- http://portal.historicenvironment.scot/designation/BTL6 (Online designation description (Historic Environment Scotland))
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/14203 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.