MHG30813 - Rifle range, NE of Nigg
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- FIRING RANGE (20th Century - 1901 AD to 2000 AD)
- None recorded
The target lies in a strip of woodland in a field NE of Nigg village. It appears as two large mounds with a ditch in the middle, it is approx. 100m long divided by a fence line approx. 40/60m long. The site is overgrown with gorse in some places but there are 15 long metal bolts visible.
Info from J Macrae & A Ross, supplied by Annette Jack, 11/04/02.
See assoc. docs. File.
J Aitken : 11/04/02.
To the west and uphill from Pitcalnie are the remains of the targets for a firing range. the range was built for the military camp at Nigg and Pitcalnie during the First World War and it may have been used by territorials after the war.
Information from RCAHMS (AKK) 30 October 2013.
GIS spatial data copied from data supplied by AKK from the RCAHMS World War One Survey Project. <1>
|Grid reference||Centred NH 8104 7215 (673m by 390m) (Buffered by site type)|
|Geographical Area||ROSS AND CROMARTY|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/333097/nigg-pitcalnie (Link to online HES Canmore record)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.