MHG30820 - Aircraft Crash Site, Westerdale
Hurricane aircraft crash site
Type and Period (1)
- AIRCRAFT CRASH SITE (Crashed, Second World War - 1941 AD to 1941 AD)
- None recorded
A Hurricane aircraft crashed on August 27th, 1941. No further details surrounding the circumstances of the crash. Serial No. Z5145. Sqd. 331.
Information supplied by Alan Clark, 11/04/02.
Macclesfield Aviation Group, a member of the British Aviation Archaeological Council.
J Aitken : 15/04/02.
Website - www.the-ateam.supanet.com or e-mail at Clark@theateam69.fsnet.co.uk
Website details supplied by A Clark, 11/04/02.
J Aitken : 17/04/02.
It was noted during a field survey in July 2008 that the recorded location of this crash site lies within forestry. It is not known what, if anything, remains of the aircraft, nor can the exact crash location be determined. <1>
- --- SHG2111 Text/Publication/Volume: David J Smith. 1997. High Ground Wrecks and Relics. 4th. 12.
- --- SHG2367 Text/Publication/Volume: Jim Hughs. 1999. A Steep Turn to The Stars, A history of aviation in the Moray Firth.. 2nd.
- --- SHG300 Text/Publication/Monograph: Watson G. 04/02. Early Flying In The North Of Scotland. 6. 15-17.
- <1> SHG24678 Text/Report/Environmental Statement: CFA Archaeology Ltd. 2009. Halsary Windfarm Environmental Statement: Archaeology and Cultural Heritage. CFA Archaeology Ltd. 11/2009. Digital (scanned as PDF).
|Grid reference||Centred ND 176 503 (200m by 200m) (Buffered by site type)|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (1)
External Links (0)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.