MHG30865 - Rifle Range - Kingussie
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- FIRING RANGE (19th Century to 20th Century - 1801 AD to 2000 AD)
- None recorded
Shown on the 1st edition OS map, 1872. 1000 yard range.
See assoc. doc. File.
Information from D. Harding, suppied by A Jack, 17/04/02.
J Aitken : 17/04/02.
On a loop of the river Spey about 1.2km SSW of Kingussie, there is a disused rifle range. It comprises a large oblong target mound at the SW end (NN 7513 9937) and a series of three butts at 90m intervals to the NE, with a fourth a further 212m beyond (NN 7545 9973). The curve of the river may have removed an intervening butt. A cattle-shed has been built into the target-mound at the SW end so that it is no longer in its original form. The butts have been reduced to low mounds between 7m and 8m in length and from 2m to 2.5m in breadth. The rifle range is depicted on the 1st edition OS 6-inch map which shows that it extended to 1000 yards (Inverness-shire 1872, sheet cii).
Visited by RCAHMS (PJD) October 1995
The firing butts of the range lie about 1km SW of the Kingussie drill hall and it is likely that the range was in use during the First World War.
Recorded as part of HS/RCAHMS World War One Audit Project 2013. <1> <2>
GIS spatial data copied from data supplied by AKK from the RCAHMS World War One Survey Project. <3>
- <1> Interactive Resource/Online Database: RCAHMS. Canmore, online database of the Royal Commission for the Ancient and Historical Monuments of Scotland (RCAHMS). 161491.
- <2> Text/Report/Fieldwork Report: Barclay, G.J.. 2014. The Built Heritage of the First World War in Scotland: The report of a project commissioned by Historic Scotland & RCAHMS. Unaffiliated. Digital. pp. 67, table 48.
- <3> Collection/Project Archive: Kilpatrick, A K. 2014. RCAHMS World War One Survey Project. Digital. No. 929. XY
|Grid reference||Centred NN 7544 9971 (671m by 715m) (Buffered by site type)|
|Civil Parish||KINGUSSIE AND INSH|
|Geographical Area||BADENOCH AND STRATHSPEY|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/161491/dellmore-of-kingussie-rifle-range (Link to online HES Canmore record)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.