MHG31353 - Graveyard - Kiltarlity Old Parish Church


No summary available.

Type and Period (1)

  • CEMETERY (Medieval to 19th Century - 1058 AD to 1900 AD)

Protected Status

Full Description

NH44SE 1 4972 4392.

(NH 4972 4392) Church {NR} (In Ruins)
OS 6"map, Inverness-shire, 2nd ed., (1907)

The dedication is said to have been to Thalargus, or, according to another account, to 'Tarrail', whose grave is said to be marked by 'Clach Tarrail'. (NH 44 SE 2) about 1/2 mile SW of the church. <1>

A new parish church was erected on the site of the present parish church in 1763. In the graveyard of the old church is at least one cup-marked stone, utilised as a grave stone. <2>

The present building, the former parish church of Kiltarlity, was probably erected in the 16th cent. <3>

The church of 'Kyntarlargyn' is mentioned in 1227. <4>

Kiltarlity parish was formed out of Convinth in 1226. <5>

The church is built of random masonry roughly coursed with rubble in-filling bonded with lime mortar, and measures 17.6m by 7.0m within a wall 0.9m thick. The gables stand to roof height, and are identical, each with two windows one above the other. The side walls stand to a maximum of c.2.5m. There are two entrances on the S. side. The interior is occupied by burial monuments. No further information regarding the dedication. There is no trace of the alleged cup-marked grave stone in the graveyard, which is still in use.
Visited by OS (R L) 11 March 1970

The church and cemetery were listed at Category B in 1986.

The ruined church was scheduled by Historic Scotland in 1993.

Inverness District West Monumental Inscriptions', pre 1855
Monumental inscription survey completed by Alastair G Beattie & Margaret H Beattie. The survey may not include inscription information after 1855 and each inscription transcribed does not give the full details that appear on the stones, abbreviations used. Some ommissions and inacuracies may be encountered. First published 1993, reprinted 1994. <6>

Up to date photographs supplied by E and R Fairclough of Inverness for Highland Archaeology Challenge September 2003. See Assoc. Docs file. <7>

Photographs were contributed by Martin Briscoe in July 2011 via the Highland HER Flickr group. <8>

The ruined church was removed from the Category B listing by Historic Scotland in August 2015 as part of a project looking at dual designations of sites in the Highlands, though it remains a scheduled monument. The statutory address was formerly 'Kiltarlity Old Parish Church & Burial Ground'. <9>

Not to be confused with Kiltarlity Parish Church of Scotland NH54SW 16

See also:
NH44SE0001 Kiltarlity Old Parish Church

RCAHMS, 1979, The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments of Scotland. The archaeological sites and monuments of North-east Inverness, Inverness District, Highland Region, 24, No. 180 (Text/Report). SHG2673.

<1> NSA, 1845, The new statistical account of Scotland by the ministers of the respective parishes under the superintendence of a committee of the society for the benefit of the sons and daughters of the clergy, vol. 14,(C Fraser) 483, 500 (Text/Publication/Volume). SHG2597.

<2> Jolly, W, 1882, On cup-marked stones in the neighbourhood of Inverness; with an appendix on cup-marked stones in the Western Islands, 376 (Text/Publication/Article). SHG1317.

<3> Macdonald, W R, 1902, 'The heraldry in some of the old churchyards between Tain and Inverness', Proc Soc Antiq Scot Vol 36 1901-2, pp 688-732, 714 (Text/Publication/Article). SHG1679.

<4> Maclean, A C, 1915, 'Notes on Contin Church, Ross-shire, with its sacrament house, and two sepulchral slabs in the churchyard', Proc Soc Antiq Scot Vol. 49 1914-15, p.71-8, 71 (Text/Publication/Article). SHG1195.

<5> Wallace, T, 1911, 'Notes on some sculptured slabs and headstones in the churchyards of Glenconvinth and Kirkhill, Inverness-shire', 309 (Text/Publication/Article). SHG1207.

<6> Edited by Alastair G Beattie & Margaret H Beattie, 1994, Inverness District West Monumental Inscriptions, pre 1855 (Text/Publication/Volume). SHG2160.

<7> Freeman, E, 2008-9, Photographs of various HER sites (Image/Photograph(s)). SHG23975.

<8> Briscoe, J M, 2008-11, Information and photographs of various sites submitted by Martin Briscoe (Image/Photograph(s)). SHG23810.

<9> Jackson, L., 2015, Combined Statutory and Descriptive List of Buildings of Special Architectural or Historic Interest (Highland Council, Two Hundred and Fifth Amendment) 2015 (Text/Designation Notification/List of Buildings). SHG27387.

Sources/Archives (10)



Grid reference Centred NH 4973 4392 (82m by 70m) (Buffered by site type)
Map sheet NH44SE
Geographical Area INVERNESS

Finds (0)

Related Monuments/Buildings (2)

Related Investigations/Events (0)

External Links (3)

Comments and Feedback

Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.