MHG44692 - Cup-marked stone - Kiltarlity Old Parish Church graveyard

Summary

No summary available.

Type and Period (1)

  • CUP MARKED STONE (Undated)

Protected Status

  • None recorded

Full Description

See also:
NH44SE0001 Kiltarlity Old Parish Church
J Aitken: 09/12/02
-----
'Inverness District West Monumental Inscriptions', pre 1855
Monumental inscription survey completed by Alastair G Beattie & Margaret H Beattie . The survey may not include inscription information after 1855 and each inscription transcribed does not give the full details that appear on the stones, abbreviations used. Some ommissions and inacuraciesmay be encountered. First published 1993, reprinted 1994.
J Aitken : 20/12/02
-----

NH44SE 1 4972 4392.

(NH 4972 4392) Church {NR} (In Ruins)
OS 6"map, Inverness-shire, 2nd ed., (1907)

The church of 'Kyntarlargyn' is mentioned in 1227.(A C MacLean 1915) The present building, the former parish church of Kiltarlity, was probably erected in the 16th cent. (W R Macdonald 1902) The dedication is said to have been to Thalargus, or, according to another account, to 'Tarrail', whose grave is said to be marked by 'Clach Tarrail'. (NH 44 SE 2) about 1/2 mile SW of the church. (C Fraser 1845) A new parish church was erected on the site of the present parish church in 1763. In the graveyard of the old church is at least one cup-marked stone, utilised as a grave stone (W Jolly 1882)

Kiltarlity parish was formed out of Convinth in 1226
T D Wallace 1911

The church is built of random masonry roughly coursed with rubble in-filling bonded with lime mortar, and measures 17.6m by 7.0m within a wall 0.9m thick. The gables stand to roof height, and are identical, each with two windows one above the other. The side walls stand to a maximum of c.2.5m. There are two entrances on the S. side. The interior is occupied by burial monuments.
No further information regarding the dedication.
There is no trace of the alleged cup-marked grave stone in the graveyard, which is still in use.
Visited by OS (R L) 11 March 1970

Not to be confused with Kiltarlity Parish Church of Scotland NH54SW 16


NSA, 1845, The new statistical account of Scotland by the ministers of the respective parishes under the superintendence of a committee of the society for the benefit of the sons and daughters of the clergy, vol. 14,(C Fraser) 483, 500 (Text/Publication/Volume). SHG2597.


Jolly, W, 1882, On cup-marked stones in the neighbourhood of Inverness; with an appendix on cup-marked stones in the Western Islands, 376 (Text/Publication/Article). SHG1317.


Macdonald, W R, 1902, 'The heraldry in some of the old churchyards between Tain and Inverness', Proc Soc Antiq Scot Vol 36 1901-2, pp 688-732, 714 (Text/Publication/Article). SHG1679.


Wallace, T, 1911, 'Notes on some sculptured slabs and headstones in the churchyards of Glenconvinth and Kirkhill, Inverness-shire', 309 (Text/Publication/Article). SHG1207.


Maclean, A C, 1915, 'Notes on Contin Church, Ross-shire, with its sacrament house, and two sepulchral slabs in the churchyard', Proc Soc Antiq Scot Vol. 49 1914-15, p.71-8, 71 (Text/Publication/Article). SHG1195.


RCAHMS, 1979, The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments of Scotland. The archaeological sites and monuments of North-east Inverness, Inverness District, Highland Region, 24, No. 180 (Text/Report). SHG2673.


Edited by Alastair G Beattie & Margaret H Beattie, 1994, Inverness District West Monumental Inscriptions, pre 1855 (Text/Publication/Volume). SHG2160.

Sources/Archives (7)

Map

Location

Grid reference Centred NH 4971 4391 (10m by 10m) (Buffered by site type)
Map sheet NH44SE
Civil Parish KILTARLITY AND CONVINTH
Geographical Area INVERNESS

Finds (0)

Related Monuments/Buildings (1)

Related Investigations/Events (0)

External Links (1)

Comments and Feedback

Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.