MHG31390 - Contin Parish Church, graveyard

Summary

No summary available.

Type and Period (1)

  • CEMETERY (Early Medieval to 21st Century - 561 AD to 2100 AD)

Protected Status

Full Description

NH45NE 4 4562 5577. 'As the church at Contin is dedicated to St. Maelrubha it was probably erected by him' in which case it would be 7th or 8th century. An early historical reference was in 1227.
The church appears to be in the main a mediaeval building: 61 feet by 25 feet externally, 55 feet by 18 feet within. About 1832, the church was repaired and altered, and at various times doors and windows have been inserted, removed or altered. The main walls of present church may have been built c1490, as former church had been burned by Macdonalds about 1482-1488.
In churchyard there are two stones, one an oblong slab, with carvings of crosses on them.
A C MacLean 1915; A B Scott 1914; J Noble 1909 <1>-<3>

The parish church of Contin was almost entirely reconstructed in 18th century. In churchyard there are at least two stones with Gothic sculpture dating back to about AD1200.
D MacDonald, A Polson and J Brown 1931 <4>

The Parish church of Contin was erected in 1747 on the site of ' an ancient edifice', the date of erection of which is unknown.
Name Book 1876 <5>

The two carved stones previously mentioned could not be recognised. Visited by RCAMS (JRS) March 1989.
NH45NE 4 4562 5577.

Late 18th century parish church in use within an old burial ground. The site is medieval and the church, which has been altered over time, contains medieval fragments. To the north lie modern extensions to the graveyard.
The ground is well maintained. There are various types of gravestone on site, including table tops, flat slabs and upright memorials as well as some burials underfoot contributing to the uneven ground within the site. The gravestones are orientated east-west. Visited during the Highland Kirkyards project, run by Highland Buildings Preservation Trust. <6><7>

Photographs were contributed by Martin Briscoe via the Highland HER Flickr group.<8>


Leonella Longmore, 2000, Land of Churches (Text/Publication/Volume). SHG2414.


Briscoe, J M, 2008-11, Information and photographs of various sites submitted by Martin Briscoe, via Flickr (Image/Photograph(s)). SHG23810.


<1> Maclean, A C, 1915, 'Notes on Contin Church, Ross-shire, with its sacrament house, and two sepulchral slabs in the churchyard', Proc Soc Antiq Scot Vol. 49 1914-15, p.71-8, 71-8 (Text/Publication/Article). SHG1195.


<2> Scott, A B, 1918, The Pictish nation: its people and its church, 306 (Text/Publication/Volume). SHG2771.


<3> Noble, J, 1909, Religious Life in Ross, 55 (Text/Publication/Volume). SHG2592.


<4> MacDonald, Polson and Brown, D, A and J, {1931}, The book of Ross, Sutherland and Caithness, Orkney and Shetland: descriptive, historical and antiquarian notes, 40,42 (Text/Publication/Volume). SHG2437.


<5> Name Book (County), Object Name Books of the Ordnance Survey, Book No. 6, 39 (Text/Publication/Volume). SHG3390.


<6> Robinson, B; Scott, M; Wright, A, 03/2010, Highland Kirkyards: Ross and Cromarty (Collection/Project Archive). SHG25133.


<7> Highlands Buildings Preservation Trust, 2009, Photographs of Ross and Cromarty Kirkyards (Image/Photograph(s)). SHG25134.

Sources/Archives (9)

Map

Location

Grid reference Centred NH 4562 5577 (53m by 75m) (Buffered by site type)
Map sheet NH45NE
Geographical Area ROSS AND CROMARTY
Civil Parish CONTIN

Finds (0)

Related Monuments/Buildings (2)

Related Investigations/Events (0)

External Links (3)

Comments and Feedback

Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.