MHG7868 - Contin Parish Church

Summary

No summary available.

Type and Period (1)

  • CHURCH (Early Medieval to 21st Century - 561 AD to 2100 AD)

Protected Status

Full Description

See also:
NH45NE0192 Graveyard & Cross slabs
J Aitken : 11/12/02
-----
NH45NE 4 4562 5577.
'As the church at Contin is dedicated to St. Maelrubha it was probably erected by him' in which case it would be 7th or 8th century. An early historical reference was in 1227.
The church appears to be in main a mediaeval building: 61 feet by 25 feet externally, 55 feet x 18 feet within. About 1832, the church was repaired and altered, and at various times doors and windows have been inserted, removed or altered. The main walls of present church may have been built about 1490, as former church had been burned by Macdonalds c1482-1488.
In the churchyard there are two stones, one an oblong slab, with carvings of crosses on them.
A C MacLean 1915; A B Scott 1914; J Noble 1909

The parish church of Contin was almost entirely reconstructed in C18th In churchyard there are at least two stones with Gothic sculpture dating back to about AD1200.
D MacDonald, A Polson and J Brown 1931

The Parish church of Contin was erected in 1747 on the site of ' an ancient edifice', the date of erection of which is unknown.
Name Book 1876

The two carved stones previously mentioned could not be recognised. Visited by RCAMS (JRS) March 1989.

Photographs were contributed by Martin Briscoe via the Highland HER Flickr group.<1>


Contin Church (Image/Photograph(s)). SHG7812.


Name Book (County), Object Name Books of the Ordnance Survey, Book No. 6, 39 (Text/Publication/Volume). SHG3390.


MacDonald, Polson and Brown, D, A and J, {1931}, The book of Ross, Sutherland and Caithness, Orkney and Shetland: descriptive, historical and antiquarian notes, 40,42 (Text/Publication/Volume). SHG2437.


Noble, J, 1909, Religious Life in Ross, 55 (Text/Publication/Volume). SHG2592.


Maclean, A C, 1915, 'Notes on Contin Church, Ross-shire, with its sacrament house, and two sepulchral slabs in the churchyard', Proc Soc Antiq Scot Vol. 49 1914-15, p.71-8, 71-8 (Text/Publication/Article). SHG1195.


Scott, A B, 1918, The Pictish nation: its people and its church, 306 (Text/Publication/Volume). SHG2771.


Leonella Longmore, 2000, Land of Churches (Text/Publication/Volume). SHG2414.


Briscoe, J M, 2008-11, Information and photographs of various sites submitted by Martin Briscoe, via Flickr (Image/Photograph(s)). SHG23810.

Sources/Archives (8)

Map

Location

Grid reference Centred NH 4562 5577 (80m by 80m) (Buffered by site type)
Map sheet NH45NE
Geographical Area ROSS AND CROMARTY
Civil Parish CONTIN

Finds (0)

Related Monuments/Buildings (1)

Related Investigations/Events (0)

External Links (3)

Comments and Feedback

Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.