MHG31450 - Graveyard - Old Parish Church of Sleat, Kilmore, Skye
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- CEMETERY (Medieval to 19th Century - 1058 AD to 1900 AD)
(NG 657 7695) Church (NR) (In Ruins)
OS 6"map, Inverness-shire, 2nd ed., (1903)
Old Parish Church of Sleat, Kilmore. It is rectangular on plan and measures 55ft in length and 20ft in width. The church is now a roofless shell with gables, 3 1/2ft in thickness, still retaining their tabling, and the side walls, 2 3/4ft in thickness, remaining to their original height. The door, which is towards the W end of the S wall, the E and W windows, and two side windows have had their rounded heads and jambs moulded. The E window has widely splayed sconsions and a pointed rear arch, but the W window is much destroyed. A stone in the W gable bears the date 1687 (RCAHMS 1928).
The first church is said to have been built by a Canon of Beauly, Crotach mac Gille Gorm, early in the 13th century and to have been in use until the early part of the 17th century when, in a fight, the church was deliberately fired in order to destroy those who had taken refuge in it. The second church was built in 1681, according to the Old Statistical Account (1792) (Muir 1885) completed in 1691, and was used until 1876, when the present church was built (Gordon 1950)
T S Muir 1885; RCAHMS 1928; S Gordon 1950.
As described by the RCAHMS.
Visited by OS (A S P) 17 June 1961.
Lochaber and Skye Monumental Inscriptions, pre 1855: Monumental inscription survey completed by Alastair G Beattie & Margaret H Beattie. The survey may not include inscription information after 1855 and each inscription transcribed does not give the full details that appear on the stones, abbreviations used. Some ommissions and inacuracies may be encountered. Published 1993. <1>
Several headstones are clearly visible in the ground in front of the church. A visit to the church may uncover the location of more stones.
J Aitken : 20/02/03
GIS spatial data amended in 2021 based on the the site as shown on OS MasterMap. <2>
An earlier extent of the graveyard may be that as shown on the OS 25" 1st Edition map as an oval of trees around the site of the old church.
NG60NE0002 Old Parish Church
NG60NE0008 Parish Church
NG60NE0009 Macdonald Mausoleum
|Grid reference||Centred NG 6577 0693 (115m by 171m) (Buffered by site type)|
|Geographical Area||SKYE AND LOCHALSH|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (2)
- http://portal.historicenvironment.scot/designation/LB13981 (Online designation description (Historic Environment Scotland))
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/11542 (View HES Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.