MHG32148 - Earthworks, W of hut circle, Savalbeg
Earthworks representing part of a field system are visible within a field north of the road.
Type and Period (3)
- FIELD SYSTEM (Post Medieval - 1560 AD to 1900 AD)
- BUILDING? (Post Medieval - 1560 AD to 1900 AD)
- LAZY BEDS (Post Medieval - 1560 AD to 1900 AD)
- None recorded
Small elongated triangular field along modern road line and depicted on 1st ed OS (although banks are obviously older than modern fencing. Plan by Mr O'Hennessy. Series of banks meet at top (N) side of field. Area enclosed has possible small building site and evidence of agriculture (lazy beds) running roughly N-S. <1>
Mr O'Hennessy notified us that the recorded grid reference is about 200m too far east. This has now been corrected. <2>
The earthworks detailed in this record form part of a wider field system which includes several other HER records. Many of the banks are visible on a 1946 aerial photograph of this area - sortie 541/A/0464, 3190. <3><4>
- <1> Verbal Communication: White, H. Comment by Hilary White, HC Archaeologist.
- <2> Text/Correspondence: O'Hennessy, C. 2009. Email correspondence from Clive O'Hennessy regarding several records in Savalbeg area. Yes. Digital.
- <3> Verbal Communication: Tilbury, S. Comment by Sylvina Tilbury, HER Officer.
- <4> Image/Photograph(s)/Aerial Photograph/Vertical: Royal Air Force. 1946-7. Highland Council Collection of RAF Vertical Aerial Photographs. 541/A/0464, 3190.
|Grid reference||Centred NC 59584 07751 (95m by 67m) (Approximate)|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (0)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.