MHG32349 - Rifle Range, W end of Helmsdale
No summary available.
Type and Period (2)
- FIRING RANGE (19th Century - 1801 AD to 1900 AD)
- DEFENDED BUILDING (Second World War - 1939 AD to 1945 AD)
- None recorded
Volunteers Rifle Range marked on 1st ed OS 25" erunning from coast road GR to Marker butt & target at S end. 100yds, 200yds & 300yds markers going north. The 300yds marker is c 25yds short of the road (A9). <1>
This site is probably the rifle range of the Golspie company of the The Sutherland Highland Rifle Volunteers (SHRV). The SHRV was raised in 1859, and in 1864 it became the 1st (administrative) battalion, Sutherland Rifle Volunteers, based in Golspie; it consisted of 5 companies, based at Golspie, Dornoch, Brora, Rogart and Bonar Bridge. <2><3>
Nothing remains of the rifle range in this location. Field survey recorded remains consisting of a presumed WWII coastal defence structure. Construced from brick and reinforced concrete it survives to 0.75m in height. Structure is in ruins and badly delapidated. Rubble is concentrated over an area c. 11 m by 5 m. <4>
- <1> Verbal Communication: White, H. Comment by Hilary White, HC Archaeologist.
- <2> Verbal Communication: Carey, G. 2010-2011. Comment by Giles Carey, HER Officer.
- <3> Interactive Resource/Webpage: Historylinks Museum, Dornoch. 10/2009. The First Sutherland Volunteers. Yes.
- <4> Text/Report/Fieldwork Report: Sneddon, D, Gheorghiou, D, Hansom, J and Shearer, I. 03/2010. East Sutherland Coastal Zone Assessment survey: Data Structure Report. Glasgow University Archaeological Research Division (GUARD). 12/9/10. Digital. Site 379.
|Grid reference||Centred ND 0341 1528 (100m by 100m) (Buffered by site type)|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (1)
External Links (0)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.