MHG32680 - Human remains, Littleferry
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- BURIAL (Medieval - 1058 AD to 1559 AD) + Sci.Date
- None recorded
Site visit following the reporting of the discovery of human remains in trenches for new household waste pipes. Bones already removed from the trench include thigh bones of an adult over 5'6", with modern breaks. Few other distinctive other human bones, although trench is less than 1m wide. The trench cuts through very complex stratigraphy of old ground surfaces, beach levels and midden dumping, in the deeepest point at a depth of over 1m were a series of more bones in situ that are probably human phalanges - these were left in place pending excavation. Another bone disturbed further to the S in the trench is possibly also human but not necessarily adult - HAW 12/2003
AOC defined the burial as one single inhumation in distinct grave pit, cut through (and backfilled with) midden material, Laid on back with hands over pelvis, poss E-W position. No dating finds, but location on beach surface indicated not modern. Suggestion that inclusion within middens raised posibility that prehistoric and recommended R/C dating - HAW 1/2004.
Radiocarbon dating of the bones, published in 2004, suggested an 11C date, however this is an uncalibrated date. <1>
See link below to Scottish Radiocarbon Database for radiocarbon date.
The excavation assemblage, including the human remains, were submitted to Treasure Trove (TT 16/09) and allocated to the NMS. <2> <3>
Human remains from the burial are within the NMS. <4>
- --- Text/Publication/Article: Inglis R; Heawood R. 2004. 'Littleferry, Golspie HS Human Remains Call Off Contract Excavation' Vol. 4077/2.
- <1> Text/Publication/Article: Ashmore, P J. 2004. A List of Radiocarbon Dates Highland. Discovery and Excavation in Scotland 2004. 165-166. Paper (Copy). 166.
- <2> Dataset/Database File: Treasure Trove. 2019. Highland Finds from Treasure Trove Annual Reports 2004-18. Treasure Trove. Digital. TT 16/09.
- <3> Text/Record Form: Treasure Trove. 2019. Treasure Trove Artefact Reports for Highland Area 1994-2018. Treasure Trove. Digital. TT 16/09.
- <4> Dataset/Database File: 2020. Database of Human Remains in Museum Collections from Highland Area. NMS, IMAG & Marishal College. Digital.
|Grid reference||Centred NH 8055 9563 (6m by 6m) (Buffered by site type)|
- HUMAN REMAINS (Medieval - 1058 AD? to 1559 AD?)
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (1)
External Links (2)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.