MHG32706 - Cornmill, Avoch
No summary available.
Type and Period (2)
- GRAIN MILL (Post Medieval - 1560 AD to 1900 AD)
- (Alternate Type) WATERMILL (Post Medieval - 1560 AD to 1900 AD)
- None recorded
Corn Mill marked on 1st ed OS. L shaped building, more Southerly of 2 mills. Millhill Cottage to E and long mill lade to NW of both mills. <1><2>
Information from a participant in the Black Isles Heritage Memories project; the mill complex was demolished in the 1960s, presumably when the properties on the S side of MacKenzie Place were constructed. <3>
- <1> Verbal Communication: White, H. Comment by Hilary White, HC Archaeologist.
- <2> Image/Map: Ordnance Survey. 1871-76. Ordnance Survey 1st edition 25 inch map: Ross-shire. Digital.
- <3> Text/Report: McCullagh, C. 09/2010. Black Isle Heritage Memories: Remembering your Community Avoch, Culbokie and Tore. Archaeology for Communities in the Highlands (ARCH). Yes. Digital. A10.
|Grid reference||Centred NH 6986 5525 (16m by 12m)|
|Geographical Area||ROSS AND CROMARTY|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/275511 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.