MHG33080 - Site of farmstead or possible chapel site, Eas an Teampuill
The probable site of a small farmstead, which has also been interpreted as one of several possible sites for St Maelrubha's Chapel.
Type and Period (5)
- CIRCULAR ENCLOSURE (Early Medieval to 19th Century - 561 AD to 1900 AD)
- LONGHOUSE? (Medieval to 19th Century - 1058 AD to 1900 AD)
- FARMSTEAD? (Medieval to 19th Century - 1058 AD to 1900 AD)
- (Alternate Type) CHAPEL? (Early Medieval - 561 AD to 1057 AD)
- CIST? (Early Bronze Age to Early Medieval - 2400 BC? to 1057 AD?)
- None recorded
This site is identified as another possible site for St Maelrubha's Chapel in a fieldwork report from 2000. The site is described as comprising a circular stone enclosure 5m in diameter (see MHG57754) associated with a longhouse 5m by 3m. There are traces of a ditch at the north defining an enclosure between these two features. At the time of the visit the features were obscured by bracken and were not convincing as an early chapel site, but were more plausible as a small croft or shieling. The fieldwork report makes a recommendation for bracken spraying at this site, and also recommends that it be kept clear of planting. The report includes a photograph of the site marking the positions of the features. <1>
A possible hut circle has been recorded at this location.
Information supplied by P Swan, 2003 <2>
Photographs submitted by Paul Swan in March 2009 show that the bracken has been cleared off the site. The outer diameter of the possible hut circle/circular enclosure is given as 8.6m. Mr Swan identifies a putative rectangular building of dimensions 7m by 3.6m in a different position from the building mentioned above. Further possible features are visible including some probable clearance cairns. Photographs have also been provided of a possible burial cist. <3>
- <1> SHG21016 Text/Report: Wordsworth J. Arinackraig, Strathcarron. Wordsworth Archaeological Services. . . Site 1.
- <2> SHG23633 Verbal Communication: Member of public. SMR information. P Swan, 2003.
- <3> SHG23809 Image/Photograph(s): Swan, P. 2008-11. Photographs of various HER sites submitted by Paul Swan. Colour. Yes. Digital.
|Grid reference||Centred NG 9520 4223 (90m by 70m) (Buffered by site type)|
|Geographical Area||ROSS AND CROMARTY|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (0)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.