MHG33380 - Possible hut circle, Savalbeg
A possible hut circle cut into a north-facing slope.
Type and Period (1)
- HUT CIRCLE (Late Bronze Age to Late Iron Age - 1250 BC to 560 AD)
- None recorded
Photographs of this site together with descriptive information were supplied by C O' Hennessy in September 2003. <1>
Further information was received from Mr O'Hennessy in March 2009. The 6 figure grid reference which was originally provided (NC 598 074) puts the site in the wrong field. The site is centred near the centre of the next field to the east, a little north of the track. The hut circle is cut into the north slope of the field, half above field level and half below. The side above ground is about 1.5 m high, made up of fallen stone and earth. The entrance in the SE quadrant is edged either side with a large visible stone. <2>
This site is visible on a 1946 aerial photograph - sortie 541/A/0464, 3190. <3><4>
- <1> SHG23633 Verbal Communication: Member of public. SMR information.
- <2> SHG24125 Text/Correspondence: O'Hennessy, C. 2009. Email correspondence from Clive O'Hennessy regarding several records in Savalbeg area. Yes. Digital.
- <3> SHG23297 Verbal Communication: Tilbury, S. Comment by Sylvina Tilbury, HER Officer.
- <4> SHG23367 Image/Photograph(s)/Aerial Photograph/Vertical: Royal Air Force. 1946-7. Highland Council Collection of RAF Vertical Aerial Photographs. 541/A/0464, 3190.
|Grid reference||Centred NC 59898 07438 (15m by 15m) (Approximate)|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (0)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.