MHG3366 - LBA Spearhead, Brachla Farm
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- FINDSPOT (Bronze Age - 2400 BC to 551 BC)
- None recorded
A Late Bronze Age spearhead from Brackla Farm, Inverness, is in the British Museum (Acc No: WG 2042). It is of Greenwell and Brewis's Class IV, ie, leaf-shaped blade and looped.
('Brachla' is at NH 561 329 on OS 6", Coles' distribution map shows approximate siting to it).
J M Coles 1962 <1>
Re-classified under Scottish Middle Bronze Age, Class D type, this spearhead from Brackla Farm had provision for rivets to hold the spearshaft, possibly another indication of the Late Bronze Age.
J M Coles 1966 <2>
No further information.
Visited by OS (N K B) 28 April 1970
This spearhead was catalogued and photographed as part of the North Kessock & District Local History Society and Archaeology for Communities in the Highlands (ARCH) collaborative 'Feats of Clay' Project, which was focused on Bronze Age metalworking around the Moray Firth. It was assigned a Middle Bronze Age date. <3>
- --- Text/Publication/Volume: Davis, R.. 2012. 'The Early and Middle Bronze Age Spearheads of Britain' Prähistorische Bronzefunde v, band 5. Volume 5. 80 (339).
- --- Text/Publication/Volume: Davis, R.. 2015. 'The Late Bronze Age Spearheads of Britain' Prähistorische Bronzefunde v, band 7. Volume 5. 80 (339).
- <1> Text/Publication/Article: Coles, J M. 1962. ''Scottish Late Bronze Age metalwork: typology, distributions and chronology'', Proc Soc Antiq Scot Vol. 93 1959-60, p.16-134. Proc Soc Antiq Scot. 16-134. 57, 78.
- <2> Text/Publication/Article: Coles, J M. 1966. 'Scottish Middle Bronze Age metalwork', Proc Soc Antiq Scot Vol. 97 1963-4, p.82-156. Proc Soc Antiq Scot. 82-156. 106, 143.
- <3> Text/Publication/Monograph: Clark, G., Cowie, T. & Kruse, S. 2017. Feats of Clay. Cat. No. 74.
|Grid reference||Centred NH 5610 3290 (4m by 4m) (Buffered by site type)|
|Civil Parish||INVERNESS AND BONA|
- SPEARHEAD (Bronze Age - 2400 BC to 551 BC)
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/12620 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.