MHG34271 - Radar Station - Coast Battery, North Sutor
Radar Station associated with the Second World War 6 inch Battery site.
Type and Period (1)
- RADAR STATION (Second World War - 1939 AD to 1945 AD)
- None recorded
A centrimetric coast artillery fire control radar set situated to the NE of the coast battery. The radar was used to give accurate ranges and bearings on targets and also the splashes of shells, enabling corrections to be made.
Information from Mr I Brown, November 1998
This brick and concrete radar observation post is situated on the cliff top to the NE of Castlecraig. The radar post had a radar gantry positioned on the roof of a bunker which was set into the slope. The engine room for power was situated behind. <1>
The radar observation post is situated on the cliff top and is now heavily overgrown. It is a flat roofed building of brick and concrete with ventilation shafts on the roof and steps in the NE corner. Below is the plotting room for the Counter Bombardment Battery, now empty. No evidence for the roof mounted radar aerial was found on the date of visit.
The building is visible on RAF vertical air photographs (106G/UK 751, 6041-6042, 31 August 1945) which show that the aerial was probably mounted at the NE end on the roof.
Visited by RCAHMS, (DE, GS, SW), August 2000
GIS spatial data copied from data supplied by AKK from the RCAHMS World War One Survey Project. <2>
For other installations associated with the Second World War 6 inch battery site, see also MHG35180, MHG35177, MHG35179, MHG35981, MHG35183, MHG 38497, MHG46669, MHG46670, MHG59141, MHG59174, MHG59896, MHG59178, MHG35182.
- --- Interactive Resource/Online Database: RCAHMS. Canmore, online database of the Royal Commission for the Ancient and Historical Monuments of Scotland (RCAHMS). 139009.
- <1> Text/Report/Fieldwork Report: Guy, J. A.. 2000. Highland Region: A Survey of the 20th Century Defences. Historic Scotland. 30/01/2001. Digital (scanned as PDF). Vol.2, 93, Vol.3, 47.
- <2> Collection/Project Archive: Kilpatrick, A K. 2014. RCAHMS World War One Survey Project. Digital. No. 674. XY
|Grid reference||Centred NH 8286 6981 (62m by 54m) (Buffered by site type)|
|Geographical Area||ROSS AND CROMARTY|
Related Monuments/Buildings (2)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/139009 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.