MHG35118 - Milton Burn
No summary available.
Type and Period (2)
- (Former Type) SITE (Undated)
- BANK (EARTHWORK) (Undated)
- None recorded
Created automatically by NMRS Register Utility
User: Admin, Date: Wed 13 Oct 2004
NH91SW 50 centred 9375 1400
Five huts, possibly shieling-huts and a number of clearance cairns, scattered in and around a modern plantation on the NE-facing slope overlooking the Milton Burn, were recorded during a pre-afforestation survey at Craig Pityoulish and Craiggowrie. The huts, which are stone-built, range in size from 3m by 3m to 5m by 3m; two stand up to 0.75m in height whilst the remainder are more poorly preserved, standing up to no more than 0.4m in height.
A stretch of turf and stone bank survives to the W of the plantation. It is 40m long and 1m wide and stands up to 0.5m in height. There are at least fourteen clearance cairns, ranging from 5m to 7m in diameter and up to 0.5m in height, scattered over the hillside.
It is unclear whether these features are all contemporary.
Visited by T Holden and M Dalland (Headland Archaeology) 25 June 1999.
NMRS, MS/899/170, no. 10.
|Grid reference||Centred NH 9374 1400 (30m by 30m) (Buffered by site type)|
|Civil Parish||DUTHIL AND ROTHIEMURCHUS|
|Geographical Area||BADENOCH AND STRATHSPEY|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (1)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/157912 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.