MHG35177 - Battery Observation Post - Coast Battery, Site No. 1, North Sutor
BOP associated with the First World War Site No. 1, 9.2 inch Battery, and officers quarters associated with the Second World War 6 inch Battery site.
Type and Period (2)
- BATTERY OBSERVATION POST (First World War - 1914 AD to 1918 AD)
- OFFICERS QUARTERS (Second World War - 1939 AD to 1945 AD)
World War I battery observation post.
Information from RCAHMS (DE), August 2000
This World War I Battery Observation post is situated downslope and about 154m E from the gun-emplacements (NH86NW 9.02).
The structure, built on three levels with three observation platforms in reinforced concrete and steel. Some additional brickwork has been added to support the central platform canopy. The upper canopy has collapsed but still lies in situ whilst the lower has broken off completely. Some camouflage paint can be seen in the area immediately in front of the central observation platform. The observation post reflects the divisions between the Royal Navy and Army who were both responsible for the 9.2-inch calibre gun battery during the First World War.
Visited by RCAHMS (DE, SW, GS, JG), August 2000 and May 2002
The Battery Observation Post lies to 150m E of No. 2 gun emplacement. It lies to the W of the Second World War BOP and is as described by a previous field visit. During the Second World War it was used as officers quarters for the BOP.
Information from RCAHMS (AKK) 29 July 2013. <1>
GIS spatial data copied from data supplied by AKK from the RCAHMS World War One Survey Project. <2>
The North Sutor camps, batteries and associated buildings and features were scheduled by Historic Environment Scotland with effect from 26/03/2019. <3>
See link below to HES Canmore record for a photo of the site.
For other installations associated with the First World War (Site No. 1) 9.2 inch battery site, see also MHG35176, MHG35179, MHG35183, MHG46670, MHG59897, MHG59148, MHG59175, MHG59142.
For other installations associated with the Second World War 6 inch battery site, see also MHG35180, MHG35179, MHG35981, MHG35183, MHG 38497, MHG46669, MHG46670, MHG59141, MHG59174, MHG59896, MHG59178, MHG34271, MHG35182.
- <1> SHG23282 Interactive Resource/Online Database: RCAHMS. Canmore, online database of the Royal Commission for the Ancient and Historical Monuments of Scotland (RCAHMS). 170742.
- <2> SHG28062 Collection/Project Archive: Kilpatrick, A K. 2014. RCAHMS World War One Survey Project. Digital. No. 673. XY
- <3> SHG28211 Text/Designation Notification/Scheduled Monument: Historic Environment Scotland. 2019. Addition to the Schedule of Monuments: SM13570: North Sutor Battery, batteries and camps. Historic Environment Scotland. 27/03/2019. Digital.
|Grid reference||Centred NH 8214 6896 (10m by 9m) (Buffered by site type)|
|Geographical Area||ROSS AND CROMARTY|
Related Monuments/Buildings (3)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (2)
- http://portal.historicenvironment.scot/designation/SM13570 (View online HES designation record)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/170742 (View HES Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.