MHG35891 - Rockshelter - Toscaig 10
A hammerstone was found in a rockshelter during the Scotland's First Settlers Project.
Type and Period (2)
- ROCK SHELTER (Mesolithic to 19th Century - 8000 BC? to 1900 AD?)
- FINDSPOT (Mesolithic to 19th Century - 8000 BC? to 1900 AD?)
- None recorded
Created automatically by NMRS Register Utility
User: Admin, Date: Wed 13 Oct 2004
NG73NW 10 7211 3975
The following site was recorded between January and September 1999 as part of the Scotland's First Settlers Project. A full report has been lodged with the NMRS.
NG 7211 3975 Toscaig 10 Rock shelter.
B Finlayson, K Hardy and C Wickham-Jones 1999
A rockshleter was investigated during the Scotland's First Settlers Project in 1999. A plain hammerstone was found, comprising a rounded cobblestone with some pecking at the ends. Tools like this hammerstone might have been in use at any time up to and including the present day. <1>
- <1> Text/Publication/Monograph: Hardy, K and Wickham-Jones, C (eds). 2007. Mesolithic and later sites around the Inner Sound, Scotland: the work of the Scotland's First Settlers project 1998-2004, Scottish Archaeological Internet Reports 31. Scottish Archaeological Internet Report. 31. Digital. Section 2.2.78, SFS 42.
|Grid reference||Centred NG 7211 3975 (20m by 20m) (Buffered by site type)|
|Geographical Area||ROSS AND CROMARTY|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (2)
- http://archaeologydataservice.ac.uk/archiveDS/archiveDownload?t=arch-310-1/dissemination/pdf/sair31.pdf (Link to published Scottish Archaeological Internet Report 31)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/157980 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.