MHG35895 - Lithic scatter, Rubha an Droma Bhain, Scalpay
A scatter of three Mesolithic lithics were recovered from a raised beach deposit during the Scotland's First Settlers Project.
Type and Period (2)
- LITHIC SCATTER (Mesolithic to Late Bronze Age - 8000 BC? to 551 BC?)
- MIDDEN? (Mesolithic to Late Bronze Age - 8000 BC? to 551 BC?)
- None recorded
Created automatically by NMRS Register Utility
User: Admin, Date: Wed 13 Oct 2004
NG62NW 19 6218 2742
The following site was recorded between January and September 1999 as part of the Scotland's First Settlers Project. A full report has been lodged with the NMRS.
NG 6218 2742 Rubha an Droma Lithic scatter. +
Note: + = containing visible midden
B Finlayson, K Hardy, C Wickham-Jones 1999
This site was recorded by the Scotland's First Settlers project in September 1999. It comprised a lithic scatter on the steep front edge of a raised beach at between 6 and 8 metres OD. The scatter covered an area 15 metres long. The front edge of the deposit is eroding and collapsing. Three lithics were recovered consisting of two flakes of chalcedonic silica and one chunk of baked mudstone debitage. The finds suggest human activity, probably in prehistory, though they are few in number and undiagnostic (F447-449). <1>-<3>
A walkover survey in August 2009 revealed an eroding bank just above the trackway. An occasional fleck of charcoal was visible in the soil but no finds of flints or worked stone were made during the visit. <4>
- <1> SHG24511 Text/Report/Fieldwork Report: Finlayson, B, Hardy, K and Wickham-Jones, C. 08/1999. Scotland's First Settlers 1999: Data Structure Report. Centre for Field Archaeology, University of Edinburgh. Digital. SFS 44.
- <2> SHG24512 Text/Publication/Monograph: Hardy, K and Wickham-Jones, C (eds). 2007. Mesolithic and later sites around the Inner Sound, Scotland: the work of the Scotland's First Settlers project 1998-2004, Scottish Archaeological Internet Reports 31. Scottish Archaeological Internet Report. 31. Digital. Section 2.2.5, SFS 44.
- <3> SHG24513 Collection/Project Archive: Hardy, K and Wickham-Jones, C. 2007. Scotland's First Settlers Project Archive. Digital (web). Lithic Catalogue SFS 44, F447-449.
- <4> SHG24510 Text/Report/Fieldwork Report: Farrell, S. 08/2009. Report of Archaeological Desktop & Walkover Survey, Scalpay Woods, Scalpay, Highland. Unaffiliated. Digital. Site 7.
|Grid reference||Centred NG 62181 27394 (40m by 40m) (Estimated from sources)|
|Geographical Area||SKYE AND LOCHALSH|
- FLAKE (Undated)
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (3)
- http://archaeologydataservice.ac.uk/archiveDS/archiveDownload?t=arch-310-1/dissemination/pdf/sair31.pdf (Link to published Scottish Archaeological Internet Report 31)
- http://dx.doi.org/10.5284/1000285 (Scotland's First Settlers Project Archive)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/157990 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.