MHG36307 - Mossford Power Station - Loch Luichart, Contin


No summary available.

Type and Period (1)

  • POWER STATION (Modern - 1901 AD to 2100 AD)

Protected Status

  • None recorded

Full Description

This site was recorded during ARCH's 2010-2012 Heritage Along the Kyle Line research project. Mossford power station was built of Tarradale stone and commissioned in 1957. It consists of 2 vertical Francis Turbines and Generators, supplied by water from Glascarnoch dam. The power station and HV sub station are clearly visible from the Kyle railway line. Water is discharged into Loch Luichart reservoir, constructed in 1954 as part of the Luichart Dam project. This resulted in the level of the loch being risen, flooding amongst other places the Lochluichart station.
Information from T Gibson of SSE, supplied to D Matheson. <1>

Mossford power station receives water from Lochs Droma and Vaich via a tunnel from Loch Glascanoch (see separate items). A surge tower is located on the penstocks to the north of the station. The station contains two turbines and also retains the travelling crane in situ. The station is a good example of a medium sized power station, lacking the complex of offices and workshops associated with a control station (such as Grudie Bridge), although retaining some secondary spaces. It was recorded as part of RCAHMS' Hydro-Electric Digitisation Project in 2010. <2>

Sources/Archives (2)



Grid reference Centred NH 3302 6325 (60m by 60m) (2 map features)
Map sheet NH36SW
Geographical Area ROSS AND CROMARTY
Civil Parish CONTIN

Finds (0)

Related Monuments/Buildings (0)

Related Investigations/Events (1)

External Links (2)

Comments and Feedback

Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.