MHG36307 - Mossford Power Station - Loch Luichart, Contin
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- POWER STATION (Modern - 1901 AD to 2100 AD)
- None recorded
This site was recorded during ARCH's 2010-2012 Heritage Along the Kyle Line research project. Mossford power station was built of Tarradale stone and commissioned in 1957. It consists of 2 vertical Francis Turbines and Generators, supplied by water from Glascarnoch dam. The power station and HV sub station are clearly visible from the Kyle railway line. Water is discharged into Loch Luichart reservoir, constructed in 1954 as part of the Luichart Dam project. This resulted in the level of the loch being risen, flooding amongst other places the Lochluichart station.
Information from T Gibson of SSE, supplied to D Matheson. <1>
Mossford power station receives water from Lochs Droma and Vaich via a tunnel from Loch Glascanoch (see separate items). A surge tower is located on the penstocks to the north of the station. The station contains two turbines and also retains the travelling crane in situ. The station is a good example of a medium sized power station, lacking the complex of offices and workshops associated with a control station (such as Grudie Bridge), although retaining some secondary spaces. It was recorded as part of RCAHMS' Hydro-Electric Digitisation Project in 2010. <2>
- <1> SHG25822 Dataset/Database File: Archaeology for Communities in the Highlands (ARCH). 2010-2012. Heritage Along the Kyle Line. Archaeology for Communities in the Highlands (ARCH). Yes. MDB. Site 1.
- <2> SHG23282 Interactive Resource/Online Database: RCAHMS. Canmore, online database of the Royal Commission for the Ancient and Historical Monuments of Scotland (RCAHMS).
|Grid reference||Centred NH 3302 6325 (60m by 60m) (Buffered by site type)|
|Geographical Area||ROSS AND CROMARTY|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (1)
External Links (2)
- http://www.archhighland.org.uk/heritage-along-the-kyle-line.asp (Link to ARCH project)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/173067 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.