MHG36794 - Former Brickigoe School, Brickigoe Croft
A former school building within Brickigoe Croft.
Type and Period (1)
- SCHOOL (In use, 19th Century to 20th Century - 1872 AD? to 1950 AD?)
- None recorded
This building is depicted on the 1st edition Ordnance Survey map c.1872 and labelled as a school on the 2nd edition map c.1906. <1><2>
The building was recorded by RCAHMS as part of the Yarrows survey in 2004. It measures 15.5m EW by 4.5m and consists of two compartments. The west compartment has opposed entrances, one of which is now blocked. In 2004 this section was unroofed and the eastern section was roofed in corrugated iron. Two small ambries remain in the lower section of the east gable end, which has been partially rebuilt in brieze blocks. A blocked cruck slot is visible in the north wall. A rubble platform at the western end of the building may be the remains of an outshut. <3>
- <1> Image/Map: Ordnance Survey. 1871-3. Ordnance Survey 1st edition 25 inch map: Caithness (surveyed 1870-72). Digital.
- <2> Image/Map: Ordnance Survey. 1906. Ordnance Survey 2nd edition 25 inch map: Caithness. Digital.
- <3> Interactive Resource/Online Database: RCAHMS. Canmore, online database of the Royal Commission for the Ancient and Historical Monuments of Scotland (RCAHMS).
|Grid reference||Centred ND 30202 44745 (14m by 5m) (Centred)|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Investigations/Events (3)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/183593 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.