MHG37108 - Drill Hall and Firing Range - Church Lane, Halkirk
No summary available.
Type and Period (4)
- COTTAGE (Modern - 1901 AD to 2100 AD)
- (Former Type) CHURCH (19th Century - 1801 AD to 1900 AD)
- FIRING RANGE (Modern - 1901 AD to 2100 AD)
- (Former Type) DRILL HALL (19th Century to 20th Century - 1801 AD to 2000 AD)
- None recorded
The Halkirk drill hall was built as Millkirk Chapel in 1855 but had been converted to a drill hall by the time of the 2nd edition OS 1:2500 map (surveyed 1905). The front block was cottage-style with two stone porches, and the 1905 map suggests a second larger building, presumably the hall, enveloping the front block on its north and west sides. This rear structure has been demolished and the front block is now two cottages. An indoor firing range running north to south on the western edge of the property, along Church Lane, was still in military cadet use in 2008.
In 1914 the hall was base for "G" Company, 5th battalion Seaforth Highlanders.
Recorded as part of HS/RCAHMS World War One Audit Project, 2013. <1> <2> <3>
GIS spatial data created 2019 based on OS Master Map. <4>
- --- SHG28008 Text/Publication/Volume: Osbourne, M. 2006. Always Ready: Drill Halls of Britain's Volunteer Forces. pp. 280.
- <1> SHG23282 Interactive Resource/Online Database: RCAHMS. Canmore, online database of the Royal Commission for the Ancient and Historical Monuments of Scotland (RCAHMS). 187539.
- <2> SHG27124 Text/Report/Fieldwork Report: Barclay, G.J.. 2014. The Built Heritage of the First World War in Scotland: The report of a project commissioned by Historic Scotland & RCAHMS. Unaffiliated. Digital. pp. 57, table 29.
- <3> SHG28062 Collection/Project Archive: Kilpatrick, A K. 2014. RCAHMS World War One Survey Project. Digital. No. 58-9.
- <4> SHG23361 Image/Map: Ordnance Survey. Ordnance Survey Mastermap. Digital. XY
|Grid reference||Centred ND 1320 5926 (39m by 52m) (Buffered by site type)|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/187539 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.