MHG37293 - Lithic Scatter - Applecross Manse
An open air lithic scatter site. 97 lithics have been collected from surface collection and shovel pitting by the Scotland's First Settlers Project.
Type and Period (1)
- LITHIC SCATTER (Mesolithic - 8000 BC to 4001 BC?)
- None recorded
The following sites were recorded between October 1999 and May 2000 as part of the Scotland's First Settlers Project (See DES 2000, 44):
NG 7120 4571 Applecross Manse Lithic scatter. (This record)
NG 7137 4576 Clachan church Open midden. * (See MHG57778)
Notes: + = containing visible midden.
* = test-pitted sites.
> = sites considered inappropriate for test pitting.
A full report has been lodged with the NMRS.
K Hardy and C Wickham-Jones 2000
An open air lithic scatter site was investigated by the Scotland's First Settlers Project in 2000. This was revealed when lithics were recovered from the erosion scars left by the excavation of a track below the lip of the 12m raised beach. Shovel pitting was designed to investigate both the extent of the scatter and its location. Four transects were laid out and a total of 20 shovel pits was dug. Shovel pit depth was 400–600mm through slopewash down to a mixed sand and pebble beach deposit. The lithics were recovered from the interface of slopewash and the beach deposit. There were 97 finds here from a combination of shovel pitting and surface collection. Apart from the surface collection, most material was collected from Shovel Pits D 4–6. The lithic assemblage is interesting because of the lack of baked mudstone. It is likely that the proportion of Rùm bloodstone reflects the distance of the source in contrast to sources of chalcedonic silica and quartz both of which are likely to be local. The microlith suggests a Mesolithic date for the activity which apparently included both tool manufacture and use. Interestingly, there are no later finds from this site. <1>
The NGR supplied (NG 7120 4571) is some 92m to the south-southwest of the actual location. NGR moved to the new location 25/04/2018.
- <1> Text/Publication/Monograph: Hardy, K and Wickham-Jones, C (eds). 2007. Mesolithic and later sites around the Inner Sound, Scotland: the work of the Scotland's First Settlers project 1998-2004, Scottish Archaeological Internet Reports 31. Scottish Archaeological Internet Report. 31. Digital. Section 2.2.8, SFS 75.
|Grid reference||Centred NG 7122 4580 (14m by 14m) (Buffered by site type)|
|Geographical Area||ROSS AND CROMARTY|
- DEBITAGE (Mesolithic - 8000 BC? to 4001 BC?)
- FLAKE (Mesolithic - 8000 BC? to 4001 BC?)
- BLADE (Mesolithic - 8000 BC? to 4001 BC?)
- MICROLITH (Mesolithic - 8000 BC to 4001 BC)
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/192547 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.