MHG37346 - Lithic Scatter - SCALPAY 2
An open air lithic scatter of 56 flakes was recorded by the Scotland's First Settlers Project.
Type and Period (1)
- LITHIC SCATTER (Mesolithic to Late Bronze Age - 8000 BC? to 551 BC?)
- None recorded
Created automatically by NMRS Register Utility
User: Admin, Date: Wed 13 Oct 2004
NG52NE 28 5853 2974
The following sites were recorded between October 1999 and May 2000 as part of the Scotland's First Settlers Project (DES 1999, 49-50):
NG 5853 2974 Scalpay 2 Lithic scatter.
A full report has been lodged with the NMRS.
K Hardy and C Wickham-Jones 2000
An open air lithic scatter site investigated by the Scotland's First Settlers Project in 2000. A surface scatter was collected from a washed-out animal track in area of lazy beds. There were 56 flaked lithics of which over half were of quartz and quartzite, and the rest were of chalcedonic silica and Rùm bloodstone. Thirty nine pieces were debitage flakes and the rest were regular flakes. The lithics are a clear indication of past human activity here, but they do not offer any precise indication as to date. It is likely that activity in earlier prehistory is represented. <1>
A lithic scatter was recorded in close proximity to this location in April 2001. The material comprising the lithics collected from the erosions on this site consists of chalcedonic silicas, quartz, quartzite, rock crystal and Rum bloodstone and although most of the pieces are small fraction debitage, struck blades and flakes were recovered. <2>
- <1> Text/Publication/Monograph: Hardy, K and Wickham-Jones, C (eds). 2007. Mesolithic and later sites around the Inner Sound, Scotland: the work of the Scotland's First Settlers project 1998-2004, Scottish Archaeological Internet Reports 31. Scottish Archaeological Internet Report. 31. Digital. Section 2.2.58, SFS 12.
- <2> Text/Report: Birch, S. April 2001. Scalpay WGS: Archaeological Survey of Proposed Planting Areas. West Coast Archaeological Services. . Digital. Site 19.
|Grid reference||Centred NG 5853 2974 (30m by 30m) (Buffered by site type)|
|Geographical Area||SKYE AND LOCHALSH|
- DEBITAGE (Undated)
- FLAKE (Undated)
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (2)
- http://archaeologydataservice.ac.uk/archiveDS/archiveDownload?t=arch-310-1/dissemination/pdf/sair31.pdf (Link to published Scottish Archaeological Internet Report 31)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/192664 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.