MHG3772 - Palisaded enclosure and Settlement - Balloan
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- PALISADED ENCLOSURE (Late Bronze Age to Late Iron Age - 1250 BC? to 560 AD?)
- None recorded
NH64SE 42 6735 4271.
NH 673 427. The crop-mark of a circular enclosure has been recorded 300m SE of Balloan farmhouse; it measures about 25 m in diameter within a narrow ditch.
RCAHMS 1979; Visible on RCAHMS air photographs IN 3116-8: flown 1977.
Trial trenching established the location of this palisaded enclosure. It was shown to be oval, with a diameter of 28m to 30m. Further trenches revealed occupation traces to the N and E covering an area of approximately 60 metres square. These deposits were not excavated, but were seen to include areas of paving, probable post-pits, stone-lined slots, and a small sub-rectangular structure, 3m long by 2m wide. The remains of a shale bracelet, diameter 100mm, were found in its foundation trench. A rim sherd, of possible Bronze Age date, found elsewhere on the site, was the only other significant find. Radiocarbon dates are anticipated. <1>
Full published report of the trial trenching including radiocarbon dates. <2>
- --- Text/Report: RCAHMS. 1979. The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments of Scotland. The archaeological sites and monuments of North-east Inverness, Inverness District, Highland Region. . 21, No. 151.
- <1> Text/Report/Fieldwork Report: Wordsworth, J.. 1991. Balloan Park, Inverness, Highland Region: The Archaeological assessment of the ring ditch enclosure and associated features. Historic Scotland. 30/06/1991. Paper and Digital. 41.
- <2> Text/Publication/Article: Wordsworth, J.. 1999. A later prehistoric settlement at Balloan Park, Inverness. Proceedings of the Society of Antiquaries of Scotland. Vol.129 239-49. Digital.
|Grid reference||Centred NH 6734 4271 (90m by 90m) (Buffered by site type)|
|Civil Parish||INVERNESS AND BONA|
- SHERD (Bronze Age - 2400 BC? to 551 BC?)
- BRACELET (Undated)
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (1)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/13525 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.