MHG3810 - Bunchrew House

Summary

No summary available.

Type and Period (1)

  • HOUSE (Post Medieval - 1560 AD to 1900 AD)

Protected Status

  • None recorded

Full Description

Bunchrew {NAT}
OS 6"map, Inverness-shire, 2nd ed., (1905)

Bunchrew, owned by Frasers of Lovat in early part of 16th Century, was bought from them by John or Duncan Forbes, father of President Forbes, in 1670. There used to be a moat round house; also drawbridge, last arch of which fell into ruins about 1839. ISSFC 1885;

Present house built in 1615 (Infomation from J O A Fraser MacKenzie, Bunchrew) It is a plain rectangular building c. 22m x c. 8m with crow-stepped gables and harled walls. In 19th cent., extensive additions were added to original building on its N and Ssides. There is now no trace of moat and drawbridge mentioned by Authy.3.
Visited by OS (W D J) 28 March 1962.

Architect: W. L. Carruthers - alterations and additions - 1896-97

Desc of visit (incl trees)_1920 Inverness FC Vol IX p2445- HAW 9.2002

Martin Briscoe has submitted photographs of this site to the Highland HER Flickr group. <1>

Sources/Archives (3)

Map

Location

Grid reference Centred NH 6217 4591 (39m by 35m)
Map sheet NH64NW
Civil Parish KIRKHILL
Geographical Area INVERNESS

Finds (0)

Related Monuments/Buildings (1)

Related Investigations/Events (0)

External Links (2)

Comments and Feedback

Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.