MHG43982 - Bunchrew House
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- GARDEN (Undated)
- None recorded
OS 6"map, Inverness-shire, 2nd ed., (1905)
Bunchrew, owned by Frasers of Lovat in early part of 16th Century, was bought from them by John or Duncan Forbes, father of President Forbes, in 1670. There used to be a moat round house; also drawbridge, last arch of which fell into ruins about 1839. ISSFC 1885;
Pesent house built in 1615 (Infomation from J O A Fraser MacKenzie, Bunchrew) It is a plain rectangular building c. 22m x c. 8m with crow-stepped gables and harled walls. In 19th cent., extensive additions were added to original building on its N and Ssides. There is now no trace of moat and drawbridge mentioned by Authy.3.
Visited by OS (W D J) 28 March 1962.
Architect: W. L. Carruthers - alterations and additions - 1896-97
Desc of visit (incl trees)_1920 Inverness FC Vol IX p2445- HAW 9.2002
- --- Text/Publication/Article: ISSFC. 1926. 'Excursion to Bunchrew', Trans Inverness Sci Soc Fld Club Vol. 9 1918-25, p.245-6. Trans Inverness Sci Soc Fld Club. 245-6. 245-6.
- --- Text/Publication/Article: ISSFC. 1885. 'Excursion to Moniack and Reelick Burn', Trans Inverness Sci Soc Fld Club Vol. 1 1875-80, p.165-71. Trans Inverness Sci Soc Fld Club. 165-71. 167.
|Grid reference||Centred NH 6216 4589 (117m by 96m)|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/13485 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.