MHG3834 - BA spearhead - Inverness
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- FINDSPOT (Bronze Age - 2400 BC to 551 BC)
- None recorded
A bronze socketed spearhead (Coles' Class D) from Inverness (city centred NH 6645) is in RMS (NMAS) (DG 91).
J M Coles 1963 and 1960.
This spearhead was catalogued and photographed as part of the North Kessock & District Local History Society and Archaeology for Communities in the Highlands (ARCH) collaborative 'Feats of Clay' Project, which was focused on Bronze Age metalworking around the Moray Firth. The find circumstances are not known and the spearhead was donated in 1928. It was assigned a Middle Bronze Age date. <1>
- --- Text/Publication/Article: Coles, J M. 1962. ''Scottish Late Bronze Age metalwork: typology, distributions and chronology'', Proc Soc Antiq Scot Vol. 93 1959-60, p.16-134. Proc Soc Antiq Scot. 16-134. 78.
- --- Text/Publication/Article: Coles, J M. 1966. 'Scottish Middle Bronze Age metalwork', Proc Soc Antiq Scot Vol. 97 1963-4, p.82-156. Proc Soc Antiq Scot. 82-156. 143.
- --- Text/Publication/Volume: Davis, R.. 2012. 'The Early and Middle Bronze Age Spearheads of Britain' Prähistorische Bronzefunde v, band 5. Volume 5. 73 (250).
- --- Text/Publication/Volume: Davis, R.. 2015. 'The Late Bronze Age Spearheads of Britain' Prähistorische Bronzefunde v, band 7. Volume 5. 73 (250).
- --- Dataset/Database File: National Museums of Scotland. 2019. Highland Finds from the NMS Catalogue. National Museums of Scotland. Digital. DG 91.
- --- Text/Publication/Article: PSAS. 1929. 'Donations to and purchases for the Museum and Library', Proc Soc Antiq Scot Vol. 63 1928-9, p.11-28, 151-3, 214-17, 310-13, 361-6. Proc Soc Antiq Scot. 11-28, 151-3, 214-17, 310. 152.
- <1> Text/Publication/Monograph: Clark, G., Cowie, T. & Kruse, S. 2017. Feats of Clay. Cat. No. 76.
|Grid reference||Centred NH 6600 4499 (4m by 4m) (Buffered by site type)|
|Civil Parish||INVERNESS AND BONA|
- SPEARHEAD (Bronze Age - 2400 BC to 551 BC)
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (3)
- http://nms.scran.ac.uk/database/record.php?usi=000-100-034-348-C& (Link to online NMS catalogue record)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/13380 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
- https://www.scran.ac.uk/database/record.php?usi=000-100-034-348-C& (Link to online SCRAN record)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.