MHG38497 - Operations Block - Coast Battery, North Sutor
Operation block associated with the Second World War 6 inch Battery site.
Type and Period (2)
- (Former Type) SITE (Undated)
- OPERATIONS BLOCK (20th Century - 1901 AD to 2000 AD)
- None recorded
NH86NW 9.11 82129 69008
An underground, concrete and brick built operations block is situated about 122m E of WW II No.1 gun-emplacement. The entrance is down a set of stairs and there are two underground rooms, one with evidence of air extraction ducting.
Visited by RCAHMS (DE), August 2000
The underground building has three rooms. At the bottom of the stairs a passageway leads off to the left and into a large room with air extraction ducting in the SE corner. The floor has cable ducts, and parts of what may the original flooring is still present. There is evidence of fixings on the E wall, possibly for a map. There are four ventilation holes in the roof.
The second room, which in turn leads to the smaller third room, is at the end of the passageway furthest from the stairs. The larger room was brick lined, perhaps at a later date, and appears to have been a communication/telephone exchange. There is some graffiti, including a Royal Artillery insignia on the S wall. The smaller room against the East side of the building may have been for electrical and telephone equipment.
Information from RCAHMS (AKK) 29 July 2013. <1> <2>
GIS spatial data created 2019 based on OS Master Map. <3>
For other installations associated with the Second World War 6 inch battery site, see also
MHG35180, MHG35177, MHG35179, MHG35981, MHG35183, MHG46669, MHG46670, MHG59141, MHG59174, MHG59896, MHG59178, MHG34271, MHG35182.
- <1> Interactive Resource/Online Database: RCAHMS. Canmore, online database of the Royal Commission for the Ancient and Historical Monuments of Scotland (RCAHMS). 224059.
- <2> Collection/Project Archive: Kilpatrick, A K. 2014. RCAHMS World War One Survey Project. Digital. No. 657.
- <3> Image/Map: Ordnance Survey. Ordnance Survey Mastermap. Digital. XY
|Grid reference||Centred NH 8213 6900 (11m by 13m) (Buffered by site type)|
|Geographical Area||ROSS AND CROMARTY|
Related Monuments/Buildings (2)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/224059 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.