MHG38945 - Burial Cairn, Cnoc na Maranaich
Site of a burial cairn containing a cist.
Type and Period (1)
- BURIAL CAIRN (Bronze Age - 2400 BC? to 551 BC?)
At ND 1323 3307, some 95m S of the chambered cairn (MHG1255), is a cairn (C) measuring 12 by 11m and 0.3m high. About 3m in from its N edge is a cist measuring 1.6m E-W by 1m and 0.2m deep (silted-up). It is covered by a large flat stone which was immovable (See MHG39617).
Visited by OS (W D J) 27 June 1960.
ND13SW 11 131 331.
(A: ND 1318 3315) Chambered Cairn (NR) (See MHG1255)
(B: ND 1320 3315) Standing Stone (NR) (See MHG13539)
(C: ND 1323 3307) Cairn (NR) (This record)
OS 6" map, (1962)
ND 131 331. About 75m SSE of chambered cairn (A) is a burial cist with the capping stone still in position (See MHG39617). The capping stone measures about 1.2 by 0.9m and beneath its corner can be seen the upright slabs of the cist. The interior appears to be untouched. (This may be the cist noted by previous OS field surveyor within cairn 'C'.)
L J Myatt 1976.
No change to the previous field report. Myatt's cist is that noted by the previous OS field surveyor.
Three modern cairns surmount the chambered cairn and an old bothy structure abuts it on the NE side.
Visited by OS (J M) 17 August 1982.
GIS Spatial data adjusted 2018 based on OS Master Map. <1>
- --- SHG2115 Text/Publication/Volume: Davidson, JL and Henshall, A S. 1991. The chambered cairns of Caithness: an inventory of the structures and their contents. 109-10, no. 20; plan.
- --- SHG357 Text/Publication/Monograph: Henshall, A S. 1963. The chambered tombs of Scotland, Volume 1. 269, CAT 20.
- --- SHG3712 Image/Photograph(s): B/W Negative. .
- --- SHG3908 Image/Photograph(s)/Aerial Photograph: B/W Negative. .
- --- SHG3909 Image/Photograph(s)/Aerial Photograph: B/W Negative. .
- --- SHG4013 Image/Photograph(s)/Aerial Photograph: B/W Negative. .
- --- SHG450 Text/Publication/Article: Myatt, L J. 1977. 'Cnoc na Maranaich. A megalithic summer solstice observatory', Caithness Fld Club Bulletin Vol. 2 Oct 1977, p.67-70. Caithness Fld Club Bulletin. 67-70. 67-70.
- <1> SHG23361 Image/Map: Ordnance Survey. Ordnance Survey Mastermap. Digital. XY
|Grid reference||Centred ND 1323 3307 (23m by 22m) (Buffered by site type)|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (2)
- http://portal.historicenvironment.scot/designation/SM443 (Online designation description (Historic Environment Scotland))
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/8203 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.