MHG39299 - Farmstead, Liddesdale

Summary

Early-mid C18 farmstead

Type and Period (1)

  • STOREHOUSE (Undated)

Protected Status

  • None recorded

Full Description

See SMR No. NM75NE0004 for the storehouse

See also:
NM75NW 3 NM 735 553 Buildings; Cultivation Remains
NM75NW 4 NM 732 554 Lead Mine

Two unroofed, three roofed buildings, one of which has an attached enclosure, and another incomplete enclosure are depicted on the 1st edition of the OS 6-inch map (Argyllshire 1875, sheet xxvii). One unroofed, three roofed buildings and two enclosures are shown on the current edition of the OS 1:10000 map (1973).
Information from RCAHMS (SAH) 11 May 1998

The extensive group of buildings which once stood here are illustrated and described by Bruce. The only survivor is the storehouse (planned by the RCAHMS). About 25m SE of the storehouse there are slight remains of a kiln, perhaps the 'malt kiln' described by Bruce.
RCAHMS 1980

Remains of 3 houses including the Mining Company's store, built c. 1737. Occupied 1755. Part of the settlement called Glasbhil (probably Glac Sabhail) in 1841-91 census.
P Gaskell 1968

Sources/Archives (4)

Map

Location

Grid reference Centred NM 778 597 (30m by 30m) (Buffered by site type)
Map sheet NM75NE
Civil Parish MORVERN
Geographical Area LOCHABER

Finds (0)

Related Monuments/Buildings (2)

Related Investigations/Events (0)

External Links (1)

Comments and Feedback

Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.