MHG39299 - Farmstead, Liddesdale
Early-mid C18 farmstead
Type and Period (1)
- STOREHOUSE (Undated)
- None recorded
See SMR No. NM75NE0004 for the storehouse
NM75NW 3 NM 735 553 Buildings; Cultivation Remains
NM75NW 4 NM 732 554 Lead Mine
Two unroofed, three roofed buildings, one of which has an attached enclosure, and another incomplete enclosure are depicted on the 1st edition of the OS 6-inch map (Argyllshire 1875, sheet xxvii). One unroofed, three roofed buildings and two enclosures are shown on the current edition of the OS 1:10000 map (1973).
Information from RCAHMS (SAH) 11 May 1998
The extensive group of buildings which once stood here are illustrated and described by Bruce. The only survivor is the storehouse (planned by the RCAHMS). About 25m SE of the storehouse there are slight remains of a kiln, perhaps the 'malt kiln' described by Bruce.
Remains of 3 houses including the Mining Company's store, built c. 1737. Occupied 1755. Part of the settlement called Glasbhil (probably Glac Sabhail) in 1841-91 census.
P Gaskell 1968
- --- Text/Publication/Volume: Bruce, A. 1733. Plan of Loch Sumart.
- --- Text/Publication/Volume: Gaskell, P. 1968. Morvern transformed: a highland parish in the nineteenth century. 164.
- --- Text/Report: RCAHMS. 1980. The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments of Scotland. Argyll: an inventory of the monuments volume 3: Mull, Tiree, Coll and Northern Argyll (excluding the early medieval and later monuments of Iona). . 250-1, no. 384 fig 261 (plan).
- --- Image/Photograph(s): Storehouse, Liddesdale. Digital Image. .
|Grid reference||Centred NM 778 597 (30m by 30m) (Buffered by site type)|
Related Monuments/Buildings (2)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/72854 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.