MHG39646 - Former Parish Church Burial Ground, Logie Easter
19th and 20th century burial ground, associated with the former parish church.
Type and Period (1)
- CEMETERY (19th Century to 20th Century - 1801 AD to 2000 AD)
- None recorded
NH77NE 6 7775 7604.
The original LOGIE EASTER PARISH CHURCH was the church at NH 77NW 9. This church replaced NH 77NW 9 as LOGIE EASTER PARISH CHURCH when it was built around 1818, and was itself replaced as Parish Church by the church at NH 77NE 8 (former United Free Church). At present, NH 77NE 8 remains as the Parish Church.
Church demolished 1988
Church de-listed in 2010. <1>
This site should be viewed, along with three other ecclesiastical sites in the parish, as part of a continuous story, all four sites being at one time the Logie Easter Parish Church. This site is the third in the chronological list of the four sites, replacing the older Church, Marybank in 1820, which in turn had replaced Marybank Church, graveyard in 1767.
The burial ground is large, spreads over the hill site and contains gravestones predominantly from the late nineteenth century until the present day. The gravestones face many different directions.
The site of the demolished church lies at the head of the entrance steps which climb the hill and is marked by a commemorative stone at what was the east gable. This site now contains the most recent burials.
The burial ground was visited during the Highland Kirkyards project, run by Highland Buildings Preservation Trust. <2><3>
<1> Historic Scotland, 07/10/2010, Combined Statutory and Descriptive List of Buildings of Special Architectural or Historic Interest (Highland Council, One Hundred and Fifteenth Amendment) 2010, HB Number 7772 (Text/Designation Notification/List of Buildings). SHG24994.
<2> Robinson, B; Scott, M; Wright, A, 03/2010, Highland Kirkyards: Ross and Cromarty (Collection/Project Archive). SHG25133.
<3> Highlands Buildings Preservation Trust, 2009, Photographs of Ross and Cromarty Kirkyards (Image/Photograph(s)). SHG25134.
- <1> Text/Designation Notification/List of Buildings: Historic Scotland. 07/10/2010. Combined Statutory and Descriptive List of Buildings of Special Architectural or Historic Interest (Highland Council, One Hundred and Fifteenth Amendment) 2010. HB Number 7772.
- <2> Collection/Project Archive: Robinson, B; Scott, M; Wright, A. 03/2010. Highland Kirkyards: Ross and Cromarty. Highland Buildings Preservation Trust. 29/07/2010. Paper (Original).
- <3> Image/Photograph(s): Highlands Buildings Preservation Trust. 2009. Photographs of Ross and Cromarty Kirkyards. Colour. . Digital.
|Grid reference||Centred NH 7774 7603 (85m by 86m)|
|Geographical Area||ROSS AND CROMARTY|
|Civil Parish||LOGIE EASTER|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (2)
- http://data.historic-scotland.gov.uk/pls/htmldb/f?p=2200:15:0::::BUILDING:7772 (View listed building information on Historic Scotland's website (old hyperlink))
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/14548 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.