MHG8719 - Former Parish Church & Burial Ground, Logie Easter
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- CHURCH (Post Medieval - 1560 AD to 1900 AD)
- None recorded
NH77NE 6 7775 7604.
The original LOGIE EASTER PARISH CHURCH was the church at NH 77NW 9. This church replaced NH 77NW 9 as LOGIE EASTER PARISH CHURCH when it was built around 1818, and was itself replaced as Parish Church by the church at NH 77NE 8 (former United Free Church). At present, NH 77NE 8 remains as the Parish Church.
Church demolished 1988.
1818-20. Rectangular, Gothic church with dummy tower. Coursed square rubble, mixed grey and red; ashlar dressings.
Narrow rectangular tower, slightly advanced in centre west gable rising two small stages above ridge and terminating in corbelled, crenellated parapet and angle pinnacles; string courses; stone clock face with incised figures in upper stage with cusped blind occulus below. Pointed headed doorway in base of tower with similarly headed window above and in flanking bays, imposing projecting porch in centre, south elevation, with engaged angle clustered columns and pointed headed entrance under moulded cornice; long, flanking pointed-headed windows, slate roof; finial at east apex.
Galleried interior in very poor condition. Burial ground: coped rubble walls; square ashlar gate piers with pyramidal caps and pair cast-iron gates. Notes: Church disused and dilapidated. Unusual tower, similar to that at Duirinish Parish church, Dunvegan, Skye. <1>
Church de-listed in 2010. <2>
This site should be viewed, along with three other ecclesiastical sites in the parish, as part of a continuous story, all four sites being at one time the Logie Easter Parish Church. This site is the third in the chronological list of the four sites, replacing the older Church, Marybank in 1820, which in turn had replaced Marybank Church, graveyard in 1767.
The burial ground was visited during the Highland Kirkyards project, run by Highland Buildings Preservation Trust (see MHG39646). <3>
- <1> Dataset: Historic Scotland. Information Supplementary to the Statutory List (This information has no legal significance). Digital. HB Number 7772.
- <2> Text/Designation Notification/List of Buildings: Historic Scotland. 07/10/2010. Combined Statutory and Descriptive List of Buildings of Special Architectural or Historic Interest (Highland Council, One Hundred and Fifteenth Amendment) 2010. HB Number 7772.
- <3> Collection/Project Archive: Robinson, B; Scott, M; Wright, A. 03/2010. Highland Kirkyards: Ross and Cromarty. Highland Buildings Preservation Trust. 29/07/2010. Paper (Original).
|Grid reference||Centred NH 7774 7604 (22m by 21m)|
|Geographical Area||ROSS AND CROMARTY|
|Civil Parish||LOGIE EASTER|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/14548 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.