MHG39667 - Cill Donnain, Munerigie
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- CEMETERY (Undated)
- None recorded
NH20SE 4 2658 0276.
(NH 26580276) Cill Donnain (A.T.)
OS 6"map, Ross-shire, 2nd ed., (1904)
St. Donnan founded a church at Munerigie on Loch Garry. There was a cairn here where tradition said a saint was buried, and erroneously conjectured to be St. Donnan himself. (d.AD 617).
W D Simpson 1935;
The ONB refers to the old graveyard, but makes no mention of a church. Name Book 1871
The graveyard, which is near circular and may, therefore, be very early, is now disused. In the SE corner there is a raised area, 6.0m E-W by 3.0m N-S, possibly the site of the church.
Surveyed at 1/10560.
Visited by OS (R D) 28 May 1964
A narrow line of stones has been reported close to the edge of the mound/raised area within the graveyard. The feature is mostly obscured by grassy vegetation but may represent either an early enclosing dyke or a small cell. A survey of the graveyard is proposed. The ownership of the graveyard is unclear at present but it has been informally maintained by local people. Information supplied by Hector Rogers (06/06/2005).
(KC June 05)
Martin Briscoe has uploaded photographs of this site to the Highland HER Flickr group. The images are linked directly to this record, but follow the link to the Flickr group (at the bottom of this record) to see further comments. <1>
- --- Text/Publication/Article: Scott, A B. 1906. 'S Donnan the Great and his Muinntir', Trans Scot Eccles Soc Vol. 1 1905-6, p.256-67. Trans Scot Eccles Soc. 256-67. 259.
- --- Text/Publication/Volume: Simpson, W D. 1935. The Celtic church in Scotland: a study of its penetration lines and art relationships. Fig. 9.
- --- Text/Publication/Volume: Name Book (County). Object Name Books of the Ordnance Survey. Book No. 39, 22.
- <1> Image/Photograph(s): Briscoe, J M. 2008-11. Information and photographs of various sites submitted by Martin Briscoe. Colour. Yes. Digital. via Flickr.
|Grid reference||Centred NH 2657 0276 (200m by 200m) (Buffered by site type)|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (2)
- http://www.flickr.com/groups/her/pool/tags/MHG39667 (View images of this site in the Highland HER Flickr group)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/12153 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.