MHG3969 - Uamh Fhraing, Eigg
No summary available.
Type and Period (2)
- CAVE (Undated)
- HUMAN REMAINS (Undated)
- None recorded
Uamh Fhraing, 'Frances's Cave', is 255' long and 18' to 20' high with an entrance only 3' high. The floor is strewn with human bones.
Name Book 1877
Scene of the massacre of 395 McDonalds by the McLeods in 1577.
M E M Donaldson 1920
A brass coin from the cave is in RMS.
Proc Soc Antiq Scot 1863
- --- Text/Publication/Volume: Donaldson, M E M. 1923. Wanderings in the Western Highlands and Islands. 2nd, rev.. 253-5.
- --- Text/Publication/Monograph: Ordnance Survey. Object Name Books of the Ordnance Survey. 13. Book No.13, 22-3.
- --- Text/Publication/Article: PSAS. 1863. 'Donations to and purchases for the Museum and Library with exhibits', Proc Soc Antiq Scot Vol. 4 1860-2, p.52-5,71-6,165-9,185-8,228-31,291-300,376-82,. Proc Soc Antiq Scot. 52-5,71-6,165-9,185-8,228. 379.
- --- Text/Publication/Article: Harden, G. 1985. 'Eigg (Small Isles p), stray finds', Discovery and Excavation in Scotland 1985, p.21. Discovery and Excavation in Scotland. 21. 21.
|Grid reference||Centred NM 4748 8346 (30m by 30m) (Buffered by site type)|
|Civil Parish||SMALL ISLES|
- COIN (Undated)
Related Monuments/Buildings (2)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/22183 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.