MHG39842 - Midden, Bucholly Castle

Summary

No summary available.

Type and Period (1)

  • MIDDEN (Undated)

Protected Status

Full Description

Bucholly Castle is as described and illustrated. The surviving lower foundations are covered by thick vegetation.
Visited by OS (J B) 12 August 1982.

Midden deposit sampled. Erosion is extreme on all sides of castle.
C E Batey 1982.

Bucholie Castle has been identified with 'Lamba-borg' mentioned about 1143 in Orkneyinga Saga. This would imply an earlier castle on site. (But see also ND36NE 1.)
R G Lamb 1980

Bucholly Castle (NR) (remains of) OS 1:10,000 map, (1975)

Bucholly Castle (locally accepted spelling) is as described and planned by previous authorities. Buildings on W side of courtyard survive as grass-covered walling c1.3m high. The kitchen midden is no longer visible.
Revised at 1:2500. Visited by OS (R D) 9 September 1965.

Buchollie (Mowat 1931) or Bucholie (RCAHMS 1911; MacGibbon and Ross 1887-92) Castle: This castle, dating from period 1400 - 1542, stands on a peninsula 100ft high, cut off from land by a trench 7ft wide and 9ft deep.
The keep which rose from edge of this trench measured only 14 x 20ft over all. Only W wall, standing 30ft high, an part of S wall remain. Walls of vaulted basement are 4ft thick, but on floors above, only c2.5ft.
An entrance passage 4.5ft wide gave access to a long narrow courtyard, flanked by buildings mostly bonded with clay.
An extensive kitchen midden lies along cliff-top to seaward. The castle was formerly known as Freswick. The property belonged to Mowats from time of Robert I (1306-29) until 1661, when it passed to Sinclairs.
RCAHMS 1911, visited 1910; D MacGibbon and T Ross 1887-92; J Mowat 1931.

Seven small fragments of brownish unglazed pottery from a refuse heap at Bucholly Castle were donated to NMAS by A O Curle.
Proc Soc Antiq Scot 1911


Highland Council Archaeology Unit, HCAU Slide Collection Sheet 8, 165,167 (Image/Photograph(s)). SHG24259.


MacGibbon, D and Ross, T, 1887-92, The castellated and domestic architecture of Scotland from the twelfth to the eighteenth centuries, Vol. 3, 338-40; plan (Text/Publication/Volume). SHG2442.


PSAS, 1911, 'Donations to and purchases for the Museum and Library, with exhibits', Proc Soc Antiq Scot Vol. 45 1910-11, p.10-17, 152-7, 220-4, 315-18, 366-70, 416-18, 366 (Text/Publication/Article). SHG626.


RCAHMS, 1911, The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments and Constructions of Scotland. Third report and inventory of monuments and constructions in the county of Caithness, 11-12, No. 32 (Text/Report). SHG2664.


Mowat, J, 1931, Place-names of Canisbay, Caithness, 6 (Text/Publication/Volume). SHG2546.


Miller, D B, 1975, 'Historical castles and families of the north. 1. Bucholie Castle- The Swansons and Mowats', Caithness Fld Club Bulletin Vol. 1 April 1975, p.50-2, 50-2 (Text/Publication/Article). SHG905.


Lamb, R G, 1980, Iron Age promontory forts in the Northern Isles, 96 (Text/Publication/Monograph). SHG310.


Batey, C E, 1982, Caithness coastal survey 1982: interim reports 1980-2, No. 78 (Text/Report). SHG1960.

Sources/Archives (8)

Map

Location

Grid reference Centred ND 3821 6582 (14m by 14m) (Buffered by site type)
Map sheet ND36NE
Civil Parish CANISBAY
Geographical Area CAITHNESS

Finds (0)

Related Monuments/Buildings (1)

Related Investigations/Events (0)

External Links (3)

Comments and Feedback

Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.