MHG39854 - Cists- Chambered Cairn, Sordale Hill
Several cists are said to have been located within Neolithic chambered cairn.
Type and Period (1)
- CIST (Bronze Age - 2400 BC to 551 BC)
Chambered cairn, 'Cnoc na Ciste'. Diameter: 18m. grassy circular mound 2.5m high overrun by three modern fence lines. The kerb-stones survive and a chamber 2m wide lies on SE axis, 7m long with a fallen lintel stone visible.
R J Mercer, NMRS MS/828/19, 1995.
No change. Visited by OS (J M) 27 October 1981
(Cnoc na Ciste (NAT) Chambered Cairn (NR) OS 6" map, (1970)
The mutilated remains of Cnoc na Ciste are generally as described by Miss Henshall, but the cists mentioned in the ONB could not be located.
Resurveyed at 1:2500. Visited by OS (R D) 5 November 1965
Cnoc na Ciste is a chambered, round cairn c8ft high. The tops of four slabs protrude. The irregular peristalith of boulders is now visible only on E edge. The round chamber was partially excavated 1895 but yielded no relics. In 1908 a food vessel was recovered 'from a niche in the wall (of the passage) protected in front by a light slab'. It is now in the NMAS (Acc No: EE 101).
The ONB (1872) records finding of several cists on removal of earth from the summit of the cairn.
Name Book 1872; RCAHMS 1911; A S Henshall 1963, visited 1956
Cnoc na Ciste (NR) (Cairn) (NR) OS 6" map, Caithness, 2nd ed. (1907)
GIS spatial data created 2018 based OS Master Map. <1>
- --- SHG2115 Text/Publication/Volume: Davidson, JL and Henshall, A S. 1991. The chambered cairns of Caithness: an inventory of the structures and their contents. 108-9, no. 19; plan.
- --- SHG2664 Text/Report: RCAHMS. 1911. The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments and Constructions of Scotland. Third report and inventory of monuments and constructions in the county of Caithness. . 121-2, No. 442.
- --- SHG3339 Text/Publication/Volume: Name Book (County). Object Name Books of the Ordnance Survey. Book No. 1, 16.
- --- SHG357 Text/Publication/Monograph: Henshall, A S. 1963. The chambered tombs of Scotland, Volume 1. 269, CAT 19; plan.
- --- SHG3699 Image/Photograph(s): B/W Negative. .
- --- SHG3700 Image/Photograph(s): B/W Negative. .
- --- SHG3701 Image/Photograph(s): B/W Negative. .
- --- SHG3702 Image/Photograph(s): B/W Negative. .
- --- SHG3703 Image/Photograph(s): B/W Negative. .
- --- SHG3704 Image/Photograph(s): B/W Negative. .
- --- SHG3705 Image/Photograph(s): B/W Negative. .
- --- SHG3706 Image/Photograph(s): B/W Negative. .
- --- SHG3707 Image/Photograph(s): B/W Negative. .
- --- SHG3708 Image/Photograph(s): B/W Negative. .
- <1> SHG23361 Image/Map: Ordnance Survey. Ordnance Survey Mastermap. Digital. XY
|Grid reference||Centred ND 1572 6198 (21m by 21m) (Buffered by site type)|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (2)
- http://portal.historicenvironment.scot/designation/SM442 (Online designation description (Historic Environment Scotland))
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/8524 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.