MHG40520 - Hut circle & field system, Feith Osdail
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- FIELD SYSTEM (Undated)
The area of the SAM has been left clear of trees. The hut circle is marked on modern OS at 259367 913916 - HAW 7/2003
(NC 5938 1388) Hut Circle (NR) OS 1:10,000 map (1970)
The slight remains of a hut circle accompanied by field clearance heaps many of which have been robbed. Of the circle, situated on a grassy patch, only odd stones protruding through the turf indicate the perimeter, giving a diameter of about 8.4m. The entrance has probably been in SE. On N side of the interior is the stoney outline of a smaller circle 2.5m by 2m with a possible entrance in W.
RCAHMS 1911, visited 1909; Visited by OS (EGC) 26 June 1963
This hut circle is as described; the "small stony outline" within the hut is probably later. A field system of some 16 hectares surrounds the hut. It is most clearly defined at NC 5915 1365 and to the immediate NW of the hut. It is characterised solely by clearance heaps, any other features being overlaid by the thick peat layer. One clearance heap has been recently trenched revealing no structural features.
Re-surveyed at 1:10 000 Visited by OS (JB) 7 September 1976
This hut circle is possibly No 166 of the field Survey.
NC 593 139. (No 155) Hut Circle: diameter 6m: height 1.5m. Covered in heather but with stones visible. N-facing aspect; 600' (183m) OD.
R J Mercer 1980
List No. 142 applies to OS hut circle. The alleged hut circle (No 155) is a disturbed stone clearance heap.
Visited by OS (JM) 17 June 1981
This field-system has recently been ploughed and planted with trees. The hut-circle was not identified on the date of visit.
Visited by RCAHMS (JRS) October 1989.
New information about this site was gathered during a walkover survey that took place between November 2010 and January 2011. Please see the linked report for full details. <2>
RCAHMS, 1911, The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments and Constructions of Scotland. Second report and inventory of monuments and constructions in the county of Sutherland, 152, No. 439 (Text/Report). SHG2657.
Mercer, R. J. & Howell, J.M., 1980, Archaeological field survey in northern Scotland, 1976-1979, 117, 118, No. DAL 155, 166 (Text/Report/Fieldwork Report). SHG2510.
<1> Peteranna, M, 02/2011, Archaeological survey of Dalchork Forest, Lairg, Sutherland: Archaeological Walkover Survey, Site 39 (Collection/Project Archive). SHG25614.
<2> Peteranna, M, 02/2011, Archaeological survey of Dalchork Forest, Lairg, Sutherland: Archaeological Walkover Survey, Site 39 (Text/Report/Fieldwork Report). SHG25613.
- --- Text/Report/Fieldwork Report: Mercer, R. J. & Howell, J.M.. 1980. Archaeological field survey in northern Scotland, 1976-1979. University of Edinburgh. 30/01/1980. Paper and Digital. 117, 118, No. DAL 155, 166.
- --- Text/Report: RCAHMS. 1911. The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments and Constructions of Scotland. Second report and inventory of monuments and constructions in the county of Sutherland. . 152, No. 439.
- <1> Collection/Project Archive: Peteranna, M. 02/2011. Archaeological survey of Dalchork Forest, Lairg, Sutherland: Archaeological Walkover Survey. Ross & Cromarty Archaeological Services. Digital. Site 39.
- <2> Text/Report/Fieldwork Report: Peteranna, M. 02/2011. Archaeological survey of Dalchork Forest, Lairg, Sutherland: Archaeological Walkover Survey. Ross & Cromarty Archaeological Services. Digital. Site 39.
|Grid reference||Centred NC 5927 1391 (217m by 147m) (Buffered by site type)|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Investigations/Events (1)
External Links (3)
- http://data.historic-scotland.gov.uk/pls/htmldb/f?p=2300:35:1177880253467667::::P35_SELECTED_MONUMENT:5300 (Historic Scotland scheduled monument description (old hyperlink))
- http://portal.historicenvironment.scot/designation/SM5300 (Online designation description (Historic Environment Scotland))
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/5244 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.