MHG40907 - Broch, Lower Dunn


No summary available.

Type and Period (1)

  • BURIAL (Undated)

Protected Status

  • None recorded

Full Description

Mound (NR) (site of) OS 1:10,000 map, (1975)

This Pictish house was opened and destroyed about 1848 when a quantity of human bones, a sword, and several other things were found. It is under cultivation and almost level with ground around it. Mr McKay (Donald McKay, blacksmith, Dunn) stated that the sword was of steel and that he gave it to a gentleman who sent it to Edinburgh Museum (it is not in NMAS 1892 catalogue).
Name Book 1871

No trace of any significant features can be found at site. It is as described in ONB, now merely ploughed-out, grass-covered mound of indeterminate size.
Visited by OS (R D) 27 October 1965

A regular, turf-covered mound some 40m diameter and 1.1m high. It is ploughed-out and featureless, but its size, shape and position suggest it is the remains of a broch.
Surveyed at 1:2500. Visited by OS (J M) 3 March 1982

Mound (ND 2035 5694). Dimensions: 50 x 45m. Subcircular mound 1m high covering an amorphous mass with no structurral detail visible.
R J Mercer, NMRS MS/828/19, 1995

Sources/Archives (1)



Grid reference Centred ND 2035 5693 (6m by 6m) (2 map features)
Map sheet ND25NW
Civil Parish HALKIRK
Geographical Area CAITHNESS

Finds (0)

Related Monuments/Buildings (1)

Related Investigations/Events (0)

External Links (1)

Comments and Feedback

Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.