MHG40908 - Broch, Grey Cairn
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- BURIAL (Undated)
Grey Cairn (NR) OS 1:10,000 map, (1975)
This is a grassy mound about 79ft in diameter and 5ft high. The RCAHMS (1911) deduce from the character of the stones exposed that there is no doubt that this is a broch. However ONB (1871) reports that the 'cairn' was opened about 1850, and human remains found.
Name Book 1871; RCAHMS 1911, visited 1910
Grey Cairn is now an oval mound measuring 30m N-S by 26m transversely by 1.7m high, with several large flat stones on and around it. It is impossible to say without excavation whether or not this is a broch or a cairn. While ploughing about 1935, James Barnetson of Georgemas, now deceased, discovered a 'tunnel' in W of the mound and several animal bones.
Resurveyed at 1:2500. Visited by OS (R D) 27 October 1965
Grey Cairn, a turf-covered mound, measures 25m NNE-SSW by 30m transversely and 1.4m high; E sector is practically reduced to field level by ploughing. The mound has no surface indication to distinguish a cairn or a broch, but size and general lack of prominence suggest the latter classification.
Visited by OS (J M) 2 March 1982
'Broch', Grey cairn, Lynegar. Dimensions: 44 x 41m. Grass covered subcircular mound with a platform 8m in diameter in SW sector.
R J Mercer, NMRS MS/828/19, 1995
Name Book (County), Object Name Books of the Ordnance Survey, Book No. 12, 20 (Text/Publication/Volume). SHG3342.
RCAHMS, 1911, The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments and Constructions of Scotland. Third report and inventory of monuments and constructions in the county of Caithness, 131, No. 471 (Text/Report). SHG2664.
- --- Text/Report: RCAHMS. 1911. The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments and Constructions of Scotland. Third report and inventory of monuments and constructions in the county of Caithness. . 131, No. 471.
- --- Text/Publication/Volume: Name Book (County). Object Name Books of the Ordnance Survey. Book No. 12, 20.
|Grid reference||Centred ND 2304 5661 (6m by 6m) (Buffered by site type)|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (3)
- http://data.historic-scotland.gov.uk/pls/htmldb/f?p=2300:35:1177880253467667::::P35_SELECTED_MONUMENT:452 (Historic Scotland scheduled monument description (old hyperlink))
- http://portal.historicenvironment.scot/designation/SM452 (Online designation description (Historic Environment Scotland))
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/8751 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.