MHG40925 - DELETED - See MHG40913
No summary available.
Type and Period (0)
- None recorded
NH66NW 9 60 66.
The Priest's Sepulchre. The OSA (1791) states 'On the north side of the river Skiack, and nearly opposite the village of Drummond, a grave of an oblong form lined with stone in the same manner as those described above (short cists), it is called the "Priest's Sepulchre", and is 7ft long, 3ft broad and 3.5ft deep.'
This sounds like a denuded rectangular chamber. This might be the site seen by Pococke in 1760 lying between Foulis Castle and the Allt Graad...'a cairn with two stones set up before it; in a cell with five stones'... in which bones were found.
OSA 1791; R Pococke 1887; A S Henshall 1963.
No further info. Cairn not located. Visited by OS (RDL) 5 5 1963.
- --- Text/Publication/Volume: Sir John Sinclair (ed.). 1791-9. The statistical account of Scotland, drawn up from the communications of the ministers of the different parishes. Vol. 1, 293.
- --- Text/Publication/Volume: Kemp, D W (ed.). 1887. Tours in Scotland 1747, 1750, 1760. 177.
- --- Text/Report: RCAHMS. 1979. The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments of Scotland. The archaeological sites and monuments of Easter Ross, Ross and Cromarty District, Highland Region. . 8, No. 19.
- --- Text/Publication/Monograph: Henshall, A S. 1963. The chambered tombs of Scotland, Volume 1. 354, ROS 35.
No mapped location recorded.
|Grid reference||Not recorded|
|Map sheet||Not recorded|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (0)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.