MHG4109 - Suisnish Pier
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- IRONSTONE MINE (Undated)
See also NG53NE 8, 9, 13, 14 and 16, and NG53SE 7.
(Location cited as NG 554 341). Suisnish Pier, built c. 1914 for William Baird and Co Ltd. The bases of four ore-calcining kilns and a large concrete oar bin which discharged into a conveyor which carried ore to the pier.
J R Hume 1977.
- --- Text/Publication/Volume: Draper and Draper, L and P. 1990. The Raasay Iron Mine 1912-1942: where enemies became friends. Paperback. pp 35-9.
- --- Text/Publication/Volume: Hume, J R. 1977. The industrial archaeology of Scotland 2: The Highlands and Islands. Paper (Original). 215; pl. 90.
- --- Text/Publication/Volume: Minchinton, W. 1984. A guide to industrial archaeology sites in Britain. 169.
|Grid reference||Centred NG 5541 3406 (40m by 40m) (Buffered by site type)|
|Geographical Area||SKYE AND LOCHALSH|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (2)
- http://portal.historicenvironment.scot/designation/SM6594 (Online designation description (Historic Environment Scotland))
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/11484 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.