MHG42019 - East Churchyard, Ullapool
No summary available.
Type and Period (2)
- CEMETERY (Post Medieval - 1560 AD to 1900 AD)
- CHAPEL? (Post Medieval - 1560 AD to 1900 AD)
- None recorded
Thumbnail photo of graveyard
Wester Ross Project - Cathy Dagg, 02/04
NH19SW 2 1313 9408.
In the centre of the east churchyard of Ullapool stand the remains of a chapel - now used as a tombstone (sic), but, during 1745-6, used as an ammunition store for the English soldiers.
A C M Mitford 1936 <1>
The remains of this chapel, situated at NH1313 9408, measure approx 9.0 x 6.0m and survive to a height of 2.4m. It is of dry-stone construction, harled on both sides, with a door in the south wall and a square niche on the inside of the north wall. Within the chapel, there are several gravestones. The tradition that this chapel was used as an ammunition store is still known locally. (Information from Mr J R Matheson Custom House St., Ullapool).
Visited by OS (N K B) 23 September 1964
Urban burial ground in the town of Ullapool, but with rural views over Loch Broom. Sitauted on a steep grass bank. A redundant stone structure, said to be a chapel, sits atop a sloped bank within the site. There are varied gravestones, uprights, flat slabs and table tops from the 19th and 20th centuries, and many flat slabs underfoot. The ground is very uneven. Visited during the Highland Kirkyards project, run by Highland Buildings Preservation Trust. <2><3>
<1> Mitford, A C M, 1936, Guide to Wester Ross: Ullapool, Lochbroom Dundonnell, Gairloch, Achnasheen, Garve with historical and descriptive notes, 25-6 (Text/Publication/Volume). SHG2528.
<2> Robinson, B; Scott, M; Wright, A, 03/2010, Highland Kirkyards: Ross and Cromarty (Collection/Project Archive). SHG25133.
<3> Highlands Buildings Preservation Trust, 2009, Photographs of Ross and Cromarty Kirkyards (Image/Photograph(s)). SHG25134.
- <1> Text/Publication/Volume: Mitford, A C M. 1936. Guide to Wester Ross: Ullapool, Lochbroom Dundonnell, Gairloch, Achnasheen, Garve with historical and descriptive notes. 2nd ed.. 25-6.
- <2> Collection/Project Archive: Robinson, B; Scott, M; Wright, A. 03/2010. Highland Kirkyards: Ross and Cromarty. Highland Buildings Preservation Trust. 29/07/2010. Paper (Original).
- <3> Image/Photograph(s): Highlands Buildings Preservation Trust. 2009. Photographs of Ross and Cromarty Kirkyards. Colour. . Digital.
|Grid reference||Centred NH 1313 9408 (68m by 58m)|
|Geographical Area||ROSS AND CROMARTY|
Related Monuments/Buildings (2)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/12141 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.