MHG7813 - East Churchyard, Ullapool
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- CHAPEL (Medieval to 19th Century - 1058 AD to 1900 AD)
- None recorded
Thumbnail photo of graveyard
Wester Ross Project - Cathy Dagg, 02/04
NH19SW 2 1313 9408.
In the centre of the east churchyard of Ullapool stand the remains of a chapel - now used as a tombstone (sic), but, during 1745-6, used as an ammunition store for the English soldiers.
A C M Mitford 1936
The remains of this chapel, situated at NH1313 9408, measure approx 9.0 x 6.0m and survive to a height of 2.4m. It is of dry-stone construction, harled on both sides, with a door in the south wall and a square niche on the inside of the north wall. Within the chapel, there are several gravestones. The tradition that this chapel was used as an ammunition store is still known locally. (Information from Mr J R Matheson Custom House St., Ullapool).
Visited by OS (N K B) 23 September 1964
|Grid reference||Centred NH 1313 9408 (10m by 9m)|
|Geographical Area||ROSS AND CROMARTY|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/12141 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.