MHG42041 - St. Moluag's Church and Burial Ground, Kilmaluag
No summary available.
Type and Period (2)
- WELL (Undated)
- (Alternate Type) HOLY WELL? (Undated)
J Aitken : 10/12/02
NG47SW 2 4356 7492.
(NG 4356 7492) Chapel (NR) (Ruin) Grave Yard (NAT)
OS 6" map, Isle of Skye, Inverness-shire, 2nd ed., (1904)
The parish of Kilmuir was anciently named Kilmaluag, and the church, dedicated to St. Moluag, stood at this latter place on the NE coast of the parish. Its remains, situated in the open burying-place there, measure 40' in length internally, but only the W wall remains standing. In its immediate vicinity is a well Tobar Heibert.
The first notice of the church is given when a Master Mertyne M' Gillemertyne is listed as its rector from 1507 to 1536. Various subsequent rectors are known and the last mention of the church is in 1573. After the reformation Kilmuir Church seem to have become the parish church (Muir 1885; OPS 1854).
The RCAHMS (1928) do not list this church.
Orig Paroch Scot 1854; T S Muir 1885; RCAHMS 1928; W D Simpson 1935.
St. Moluag's Church measures internally 12.5m E-W, and 6.0m tranversely. It is set slightly into a S facing slope and its N. wall has gone, but the footings of the E and S walls remain, and the W gable end, of mortar set rubble masonry 0.9m thick, remains complete to its finial. The graveyard has now been enclosed.
The well, Tobar Heibert, is a strong spring issuing through two stone slabs right at the High water mark (at NG 436 751, some 140m NE of the church). However, so far as can be ascertained locally, it has no religious associations.
Visited by OS (C F W) 25 April 1961.
The church is as described by Wardale except that it measures internally 6.5m by 13.0m Graveyard still in occasional use. Tobar Heibert is at NG 4365 7504.
Surveyed at 1:2500.
Visited by OS (I S S) 9 September 1971.
A hand bell, presumed to be Celtic is reported from Kilmaluig by Anderson.
J Anderson 1881.
- --- SHG1897 Text/Publication/Volume: Anderson, J. 1881. Scotland in early Christian times: the Rhind lectures in archaeology, 1879. 208.
- --- SHG19952 Image/Photograph(s): Colour Slide. .
- --- SHG19953 Image/Photograph(s): Colour Slide. .
- --- SHG2550 Text/Publication/Volume: Muir, T S. 1885. Ecclesiological notes on some of the islands of Scotland. 36.
- --- SHG2798 Text/Publication/Volume: Simpson, W D. 1935. The Celtic church in Scotland: a study of its penetration lines and art relationships. 78-80; fig. 10.
- --- SHG341 Text/Publication/Monograph: OPS. 1854. Origines parochiales Scotiae: the antiquities ecclesiastical and territorial of the parishes of Scotland. 2/1. 348-9.
|Grid reference||Centred NG 4357 7492 (4m by 4m) (Buffered by site type)|
|Geographical Area||SKYE AND LOCHALSH|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (2)
- http://portal.historicenvironment.scot/designation/SM5569 (Online designation description (Historic Environment Scotland))
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/11400 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.