MHG42082 - Crouched Burial - Cists w burials, Muirton Mains
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- BURIAL (Bronze Age - 2400 BC to 551 BC)
- None recorded
A short cist found at NH 4580 5404 in October 1972 and another at NH 4583 5404 in June 1973, on the edge of a river terrace have been recently excavated by Mr. Wedderburn (Inverness Museum) who will shortly be publishing a report. The first contained a crouched inhumation, and the second two cremations and fragments of an undecorated beaker.
Site surveyed at 1/2500. Visited by OS (A A) 14 June 1973
The first cist, slab-built and measuring 0.85m x 0.96m also contained a small quantity of seed. The other, 1m x 1.5m and slab-lined, contained one cremation in SW corner accompanied by fragments of an "undecorated vessel". This had been covered by a shattered cap-stone on top of which, in NE corner, was another cremation mixed with charcoal, which had been covered by a small heap of rounded stones.
L M M Wedderburn 1973
The beaker fragments are listed in the Inverness Museum catalogue under Acc. No. 1975.033. <1>
- --- Text/Publication/Article: Wedderburn, L M M. 1973. 'Strathconon, Muirton Mains, short cists', Discovery and Excavation in Scotland 1973, p.49. Discovery and Excavation in Scotland. 49. 49.
- --- Text/Publication/Article: Hanley, R and Sheridan, A. 1994. 'A beaker cist from Balblair, near Beauly, Inverness District', Proc Soc Antiq Scot, Vol 124, pp 129-39. p 137.
- <1> Collection/Catalogue: Inverness Museum & Art Gallery. Inverness Museum & Art Gallery Accession registers. 1975.033.
|Grid reference||Centred NH 4580 5403 (6m by 6m) (Buffered by site type)|
|Geographical Area||ROSS AND CROMARTY|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/12482 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.