MHG42096 - Burial - Cist, Mains of Balnagowan
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- HUMAN REMAINS (Early Bronze Age - 2400 BC to 1501 BC) + Sci.Date
- None recorded
A short cist was found 200m NE of Mains of Balnagowan farmhouse when ploughing the crest of a S-facing natural sand eminence. Built of red sandstone, it measured 1.0m by 0.6m by 0.5m internally, set in a pit, 1.9m by 1.55m.
The cist contained a fragmentary female skeleton, placed on its right side, orientated W and facing S, accompained by a complete step four beaker placed behind the head and a flint flake placed behind the pelvis. The cist floor consisted of a 100mm thick layer of selected coloured pebbles. The grave-goods are now in Cawdor Castle Museum.
I A G Shepherd and A N Tuckwell 1976+ RCAHMS 1979, visited 1978.
The site of the cist was pointed out at NH 8107 5464 by the finder, the farmer at Mains of Balnagowan.
Visited by OS (J M) 28 January 1981.
A radiocarbon date was obtained from the skeletal material as part of the Beaker and Bodies Project which indicated an Early Bronze Age date of 2140-2030 BC, calibrated to 1 sigma. <1>
- --- Text/Publication/Article: Shepherd, IAG & AN and Bruce, M M. 1984. 'A beaker burial at Mains of Balnagowan, Ardersier, Inverness District', Proc Soc Antiq Scot, Vol 114, pp 560-6.
- --- Text/Publication/Article: Shepherd and Tuckwell, I A G and A N. 1976. 'Ardersier, Mains of Balnagown, short cist', Discovery and Excavation in Scotland 1976, p.44. Discovery and Excavation in Scotland. 44. 44.
- --- Text/Report: RCAHMS. 1979. The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments of Scotland. The archaeological sites and monuments of North-east Inverness, Inverness District, Highland Region. . 14, No. 73.
- --- Text/Publication/Article: Bruce, M F. 1986. Short cist human skeletal material housed in the Anthropolgical Museum and the Department of Anatomy, University of Aberdeen. SHG23463. 36-8. 38.
- <1> Text/Publication/Article: Wilkin. N, Curtis. N, Hutchinson. M & Wright. M. 2009. Further Radiocarbon Dating Results from the Beakers and Bodies Project. Discovery and Excavation in Scotland 2009. 216-218. Paper (Copy). 217.
|Grid reference||Centred NH 8107 5464 (6m by 6m) (Buffered by site type)|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/15212 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.