MHG42099 - Cist and Burial, Chealamy
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- HUMAN REMAINS (Early Bronze Age - 2400 BC to 1501 BC) + Sci.Date
- None recorded
British Museum labs date this at 3630+/- 50. Date from bone collagen, calibrated on the Pearson &Stuiver 1986 calibration. (info from ADS; DML)
NC 722 502, Cist, Chealamy: A pit dug for a strainer-post during road-widening operations on B871 in February 1981 revealed a flat slab at a depth of 0.70m. Attempts to remove this with a jack-hammer pierced the slab, revealing a stone cist below. The site was immediately excavated, producing in intact N3 beaker accompanying a burial comprising only pelvic and leg bones. It seems likely that this is all that was originally buried. The cist was removed and reconstructed outside the Farr Museum, Bettyhill, with the beaker placed on display inside.
R B Gourlay and E Rudie 1981; Scot Mag 1981.
The find spot of the cist was pointed out on OS 6"map by Mr Gourlay (Wick Museum) at NC 7238 5017.
Visited by OS (N K B) 1 September 1982.
A document of correspondance from the Inverness Museum archive files from 1984 records that they possess the skeletal remains (listed under 1983.153 in the museum catalogue) and Farr Museum at Bettyhill posses the Beaker. <1> <2>
A radiocarbon date for Chealamy was published as part of the Bristish Museum Beaker Dating Programme in 1991. This produced a date of 2140-1885 BC, calibrated at 2 sigma. A copy of the appendix from this publication was sent to Inverness Museum and is kept within their archive files. <3> <1>
- --- Image/Photograph(s): Chealamy Cist : capstone revealed.. Colour Slide; Digital Image. .
- --- Text/Publication/Article: Scot Mag. 1981. Scot Mag Aug 1981, p.527. Scot Mag. 527. 527.
- --- Text/Publication/Article: Gourlay and Rudie, R B and E. 1981. 'Chealamy, Strathnaver (Farr p) beaker cist', Discovery and Excavation in Scotland 1981, p.21. Discovery and Excavation in Scotland. 21. 21.
- --- Text/Publication/Article: Gourlay, R B. 1985. 'A short cist beaker inhumation from Chealamy, Strathnaver, Sutherland', Proc Soc Antiq Scot, Vol 114 (1984), pp 567-71. Popular Archaeol.
- <1> Collection: Inverness Museum. 2019. Inverness Museum and Art Gallery Archive Files.
- <2> Collection/Catalogue: Inverness Museum & Art Gallery. Inverness Museum & Art Gallery Accession registers. 1983.153.
- <3> Text/Publication/Article: Kinnes, I. A., Gibson, A. M., Ambers, J., Bowman, S., Leese, M. N. and Boast, R.. 1991. Radiocarbon dating and the British beakers: the British Museum programme. Scottish Archaeological Review Volume 8. 35-68.
|Grid reference||Centred NC 7238 5016 (6m by 6m) (Buffered by site type)|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/6360 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.